3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2018 11:42 AM by Arvind Krishnan

Failed simulation - why?

Daniel Gnyla

Hey guys, I have following problem: I make structural analysis for an assembly but it fails after some time and following message is being displayed:  "Iterative solver stopped. The solver has numerical problems. The devices may not be adequate for the model. No results saved." 

What I do is a plate with some holder (2 parts, 1 fixed, the other one in fixed relations to the 1). Applied load: pressure and balanced forces (if only calculation is correct). Mesh: curvature based with l max = 2.0mm.

Any idea why it could appear? Thanks in advance!

• Re: Failed simulation - why?
          J. Mather

Attach assembly here.

James Riddell

Can you add some screen shots? 

When you say 'fixed' do you mean the boundary condition of the one part?

Are the parts touching & bonded or are there any gaps or sliver edges?

Arvind Krishnan

Hello Daniel,

In a Linear Static Analysis, all parts in the assembly need to be adequately restrained in all 3 directions so that forces can generate stresses. In your model, something may not be properly restrained. Follow these steps

1. Right Click the name of the study --> Properties --> Check the 'Soft Springs to stabilize model'. Also check the 'Automatic Solver Selection' box

2. Run the study again

3. You will get a warning about large displacement --> Hit No.

4. Check Displacement plot and see which part is flying off in space

It is a possibility that there was a gap between that component and another adjacent one that is restrained. In this case, create a Contact Set to bond the two and run the study again.

Let me know if this helps

Arvind Krishnan

GoEngineer