8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2018 9:34 AM by David Mandl

Solidworks 2019 DVD media not being sent as standard practice

Josh Freed
      • Solidworks recently sent out an email notice that they would not be supplying DVD media for subscription customers automatically for SW2019. If you wanted media, you could request it by clicking the link and filling out the request form. Since every time I install a patch or need to make an installation repair, Solidworks inevitably asks me to install my original install media discs, I thought I probably ought to get a set of discs. However, the media request form asks for a 32 digit serial number.  I only have a 24 digit serial number, so I clicked on the "if you're having trouble and need help, click here" button and sent an explanation of my problem. A few days later, I got a response suggesting that I ought to contact my VAR for help. I guess they could have just had a notice on the original form saying "if your having trouble, contact your VAR", and that would have saved a few days, and another email. But, anyway I contacted my VAR, and they told me that "yeah, Solidworks only has 24 digit serial numbers, so it's a screw up". "I think they'll send out another email when the get it sorted out". Which is less than an authoritative answer. How the heck did Solidworks even send out the DVD request with the process so broken, then not send a correction and direct me to my VAR, when my VAR hasn't been given a firm explanation of what is happening and how/when it will be resolved? Not impressed with the level of communication and coordination. At least I can be a little more confident that 2019 SP 0 won't completely break my machine?
        • Re: Solidworks 2019 DVD media not being sent as standard practice
          Deepak Gupta

Josh Freed wrote:

• Since every time I install a patch or need to make an installation repair, Solidworks inevitably asks me to install my original install media discs, I thought I probably ought to get a set of discs.

Make an administrative image using your installation file (either DVD or downloaded) and install using the that image. You can preset all options in the image and when you want to reinstall OR upgrade the SP, use this image. For SP upgrade patch the image and you won't need the other files.

You can also distribute the image to your other team members.

Josh Freed

Thanks Deepak, That would certainly work, but for what I pay for solidworks, I'd like them to provide a professionally made set of discs. I don't have a writer anymore because I found that the discs did not really stay readable for more than a few years.

Heiko Sohnholz

Hello,

"...I'd like them to provide a professionally made set of discs..."

And after a month or two the discs are waste, because a new SP was released. Nowadays - when a internet speed of > 100 MBit/s is standard - it's not environment friendly to produce large numbers of polycarbonate disc for one-time-usage.

I recommend to download the software and copy it to an 5 EUR USB-Stick with 16GB memory. And when a new SP is released, you overwrite it with the newest version.

Cheers, Heiko

Josh Freed

Heiko,

I may have to resort to that, but here in rural New England, my company pays a premium just for 25 MBit/s, and we can't get a faster connection. Service packs don't make that "original" disc obsolete. The disc is requested during a service pack installation. I still occasionally need to reinstall a prior release of solidworks to do work for a customer who is "stuck" at a prior release that I no longer have, so those discs come in handy for that as well. I actually have several separate laptops (older ones) with different releases of S/works on them to support my customer base. I'm really liking the new online licensing model for this. As far as the environmental concerns, they are certainly valid. I'm not asking them to send all their users a copy automatically. But, for me, I need that reliable dvd copy that lasts and lasts...

Heiko Sohnholz

Hi Josh,

my 2,5 year old computer has no CD/DVD/BR drive at all... just like all newer computers in our company.

So this is, what CDs/DVDs are good for:

CDusage.JPG

25 MBit/s is not that fast, but even with lower speed (we had a few years ago) it was possible to download the software completely over night.

And this is, what i recommend: Download always the full set. When using the full download for installation and updating, you won't be asked for the older version any longer. That's because otherwise you are using the incremental process.

And when you need different versions and SPs, buy an external HDD for a few bucks, and you are done.

When a customer asks me for sending out a software kit, i always send an USB stick, wich can be used for whatever the customer want's to (after copying the files to his internal drive).

Cheers, Heiko

Deepak Gupta

Josh Freed wrote:

The disc is requested during a service pack installation. I still occasionally need to reinstall a prior release of SOLIDWORKS to do work for a customer who is "stuck" at a prior release that I no longer have, so those discs come in handy for that as well.

Josh, you can ask your VAR and they should be able to send you the DVD but I would still emphasis on creating administrative images for each version and service pack as needed. This way you do not need to have access the DVD during a service pack update or re-installation of older version or service pack.

I may have to resort to that, but here in rural New England, my company pays a premium just for 25 MBit/s, and we can't get a faster connection.

And you can update administrative images with the service pack files which means you do not need to download gigs of files but only the required files which would be too less compared to complete files. Let me know if you need more details on how to do this.

Wojciech Paterski

yeah 25mbit/s it's about 3mb/s so to download the full install if it would take 16gb is less than 2hours.  and the install doesn't take 16gb.

But still there should be an option to request the DVD.

David Mandl

Always remember that the downloaded installation manager gives the option to download all the files to mapped location.  You can do all of your installations from there, and you won't need the discs at that point.