7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 8:49 AM by John Stoltzfus

PDF files to Solidworks drawing

Jerry McAfee

How to import a PDF table to Solidworks drawing?

• Re: PDF files to Solidworks drawing
          Glenn Schroeder

If you just want the table, like a picture, my usual practice is to take a screenshot of the pdf, open it in Paint, select the area I want in my Drawing, Ctrl+C to copy it, then go to the Drawing and Ctrl+V.  If you want the table imported into SW so that you can manipulate the lines and text I believe you're out of luck.

Jerry McAfee

I want to thank those who answered quickly.  I want to clarify my question more so, by saying that I want to be able to edit the copied PDF table or variables to the General Table within Solidworks.

Tom Gagnon

First, my advice greatly depends on the formatting of the PDF.

Scanned PDF's are nothing but a pixelated image. Some "official" documents from manufacturers are like this. There is very little you can do with that except to show, move, scale, and maybe crop it.

In Adobe Acrobat Professional, I just tried to save a cutsheet PDF that I am currently referencing as an Excel File, by File > Save As.. > Spreadsheet > Microsoft Excel Workbook. This PDF is not pixelated. The results did put all of the text and numbers from the first page into one single cell (A1), and the second page also (into A2). This was not satisfactory.

Then I tried selecting the entire table in Acrobat, and pasting that into a blank Excel workbook. The source table has four columns and 35 rows. When pasted, it carries the visible columns, but it only inserts that data into the first column of the worksheet, with spaces to separate the visible columns of data. Again, unsatisfactory.

What I was getting towards is inserting an Excel File into a drawing. Although I had expected this to be available in Annotation > Tables > General Table, in that process I stopped when prompted for a Table Template and was not able to choose another file type. Instead, I browsed to the file in Windows Explorer. I dragged the file directly onto the open drawing sheet. This succeeded. It carried most formatting with it, and is editable directly by right clicking it and selecting Open with Microsoft Excel.

In summary, to insert it and keep it editable, I would copy cell contents into cells in Excel, apply formatting, borders, alignments, fonts, etc., save that worksheet, and simply insert it into your drawing via Drag and Drop.