2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 2:12 PM by James Riddell

Solid Sling vs Link Connectors

Lakhvinder Singh

Hi All,

I am using a solid lifting sling to lift a frame (its a 4 legged lifting sling), connected to one single lift point above, as shown below. I am having stability issues, even after applying elastic supports at the bottom + applying soft springs to stabilize the model (via checking the option in properties).

I then tried to model the lifting slings with link connectors, and the simulation converged.

My question is that the solid lifting sling is more realistic as it will flex and apply tensile load in the lift pad-eyes. But on the other hand the link connectors are just "rigid" connectors and will not move. Any advice on which way to proceed (or any other way to model), to find a accurate solution?

Regards,

LS

• Re: Solid Sling vs Link Connectors
          Bill McEachern

they should both work equally well. I would use a pin connector for the joint in the solid part analysis and restrain to a single point (vertex) at the top. You could also use the end of the "sling" and use the link connectors if that was of interest. 1/4 symmetry would also help in stabilizing the model if that works.

• Re: Solid Sling vs Link Connectors
            James Riddell

I've done something like this a couple months ago, three separate links attached to a part and held by a sling to a common point.  I put a point on the attach point (where we had a swivel lift link) and 3D sketched a line from that point to the common lift point.  Then I figured out what force would be resolved into each link and applied that force along the sketched line.  Worked like a charm.

Include gravity when figuring out the resolved force and then apply your b/c to the lifted part.