7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 8:12 PM by Brian Anichowski

Looking for PLA Material

Brian Anichowski

Does anyone have or can share a PLA material for 2018? I keep coming across a Solidworks Material Web (something or other) and for the life of me I cannot find it, as well I do not see this anywhere on the site.

With 3d printing such an important part of the new world, I would expect this to just be there.

Please let me know, thanks

• Re: Looking for PLA Material
          Kelvin Lamport

If you are looking for physical properties, try MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

The ABS properties may be 'good enough' depending on your needs.

If you are looking for a realistic printed appearance or texture hopefully someone else will offer a solution.

Jerome De San Nicolás

Hi,

Brian Anichowski wrote:

With 3d printing such an important part of the new world, I would expect this to just be there.

No, especially with a material like plastics (or any other non linear / anisotropic matrial).

What kind of SolidWorks simulation licence do you have?

I have seen too many people doing linear elastic studies (with a SolidWorks simu std) on material like rubber or wood....

If you go for a non linear material you have to define it with the good model type :

And this is WAYYYY much difficult than linear elastic isotropic law.

If you want to do this on a 3d Printed part, keep in kind that the printed part it self will not be homogeneous.

So I'll say that :

- PLA is a non linear material, getting precise data is hard (or expensive)

- The way 3d printing works made that the product will be non-homogeneous

You can check this very good link : How to define a nonlinear material in FEA? - FEA for All

Sorry but I cannot help you more on that.

Brian Anichowski

Thank you for the help.

I have both professional sim and xpress. Using PET, I was able to do some simulations using PET to understand if a design I am working with would withstand several pounds of force. You are correct, changing the direction of printing can change the entire structural strength of a part. I will review the link. I am new to this and learning about all of ways to look at this.

Untitled.png

Thank you for the information.

Warm regards,

--BA

Jerome De San Nicolás

You can find here : SOLIDWORKS Simulation Matrix | Solid Solutions that SolidWorks simulation Premium is needed for nonlinear material. I don't known if it can handle non-homogeneous material...

I have a little graph from when I was a simulation instructor that I like a lot:

read : Geometry, material, External loads, Fixture

This is an approximation of the impact of an error on the results. If you make an error on the geometry, it's not very impactfull, but on the fixture it's very.

But what I cannot tell you is "If you consider a plastic as a linear elastic isotropic material, how mush will we be off the reality". (by instinct, I'll say a lot!)

This is a very good question, if someone has a clue please share !

Frederick Law

The only way to test is trial and error.

Too many different factors from material to production:

Every supplier use different mixture of PLA.

Print settings: Nozzle size, layer thickness, number of skins, infill density, nozzle temperature, head bed temp.

PLA absorb moisture and become more brittle.

PLA soften above 50-60C.

Print a few and do some load test.

Consider high temp and high strength PLA.