10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 1:54 AM by Dave Bear

Something Different - AP242?

Michael Lord

Purely out of curiosity!

We received some files with a .stp extension.

fILES stp.PNG

On opening in SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP4 I get this dialogue box

stp.PNG

Yes to continue and the file opens and converts to a SOLIDWORKS part file as normal.

My guess is AP242?

• Re: Something Different - AP242?
          Paul Salvador

Hello Michael,..curious..what happens when opened in eDrawings?

Logan Pegler

Hi Michael,

From S-071195:

"Parsing functionality in the SOLIDWORKS® software recognizes data from STEP Application Protocols (AP) 203 and 214.

This message is an alert for you to review file because it might be using a different protocol.

If you open the STEP file in a text editor, you will find strings that are similar to the following:

FILE_SCHEMA((

'AP203_CONFIGURATION_CONTROLLED_3D_DESIGN_OF_MECHANICAL_PARTS_AND_ASSEMBLIES_MIM_LF { 1 0 10303 403 2 1 2 }'));

When you compare these strings with those generated by AP203 and AP214, you will discover that they are different."

So you might be able to tell what version it is from there.

Michael Lord

The conclusion to this is that SOLIDWORKS 2019 recognizes AP242 STEP files without throwing up a warning!

Dave Bear

G'day Michael,

I'm assuming you're trialling PR1 ?

Dave.

Michael Lord

Dave,

Yes.  I normally run Beta at home when it comes out in June.  It give me an opportunity to have a good look before SP0 comes out. 

We normally go straight onto SP0 at work when it becomes available.

Dave Bear

It's nice to hear that you don't let fear hold you back!

How does 2019 look to you so far?

Dave.

Michael Lord

To be honest Dave I've experience very little issues  over the years that have caused us anymore problems at SP0 than with SP5

We are consistent in what we do most of the time in regards our models.

It's the contractor that most make use of a wider range of tools that find the most problems.

SOLIDWORKS 2019 looks pretty good.  A little for everyone.

Partial Fillet & Chamfers, the additional functionality with External Reference look to be the pick of the enhancements for day to day productivity

Lots of little things.

Of course the influence of One & Two can be noted.  Again a lot of SPR's have been tided up.  New Graphic architecture increase in performance, The usual behind the scene things.

I've had little issue with crashes.

Dave Bear

Michael Lord wrote:

To be honest Dave I've experience very little issues over the years that have caused us anymore problems at SP0 than with SP5

We are consistent in what we do most of the time in regards our models.

It's the contractor that most make use of a wider range of tools that find the most problems.

SOLIDWORKS 2019 looks pretty good. A little for everyone.

Partial Fillet & Chamfers, the additional functionality with External Reference look to be the pick of the enhancements for day to day productivity

Lots of little things.

Of course the influence of One & Two can be noted. Again a lot of SPR's have been tided up. New Graphic architecture increase in performance, The usual behind the scene things.

I've had little issue with crashes.

Awesome news!

Dave.