21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 5:47 PM by Jim Steinmeyer

Sheet Metal Gauge Tables and Custom Properties

Chad Hawkenson

So here's my question. Is there a way that I can link a note from a table that directly corresponds to the selections made when creating a sheet metal part? If select sheet metal, my table, set my parameters from my table (thickness, radius), would there be a way based on any the selections made to drive information to a custom property? I have a spread sheet for calculating for flats that when I select my sheet metal parameters it will automatically tell me this...(as an example)...

3/16 INCH - 7 GA Stainless Steel 0.268 Bend Radius 1.575" OZU-828 Tooling Dev. Of 0 Per Each Bend

I would like to have this note linked to a custom property so I could pull that property up on a standard sheet metal drawing template calling out the material and tooling for fabrication.

Like I said i have a spread sheet that will calculate flats and call out material information and the desired tooling based on input from the user. I was wondering if I could achieve the same streamline functionality with S.W.

• Re: Sheet Metal Gauge Tables and Custom Properties
          S. Leacox

NO.

I just tried to do the same thing. not a chance, no way. no work around.

No matter what you do, I could not find a way to get text to display as result of math.

The gauge is not available for display in draft.

This is created a huge problem for me. I wish there was a solution.

I am just moving from Solid Edge. The relation between gauge and the BOM was the core of my drafting system. 90% of my parts are sheet metal.

The one work around that failed for me was what a call a singular filter. With very complex logic, all parts in a thickness rang can be displayed as a specific value. But as soon as you have multiple materials or radius, or neutral factors for a single thickness range, it  does not work.

From my perspective on Solid works, this is bug/problem #1

John Stoltzfus

Chad Hawkenson - The only way I would see it working is to set up a "Sheet Metal Part Template" with a design table and have the equations in the design table reading the dimensions and then returning those values through your formula.  The only issue with using Design Tables is that if and when you make any changes you will need to edit the design table to make sure that it is properly rebuilt..

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

These already are, or can be, properties in the part file.

Material is always there and not tied to sheet metal (or anything else).

Gauge (in the part's units) is the Thickness global variable and the bend radius can be taken from the radius of any bend feature (assuming it doesn't change from bend to bend, but if you're looking for a single then I'm guessing it doesn't).

The tooling can be added as a custom property to the part as can "Dev. Of 0 Per Each Bend" (whatever this means).

All of these can be referenced in a drawing note, either separately or together.

Perhaps you already know this, but by having a flat pattern view (which can be outboard of the sheet if you don't want to see it), you can

add this dynamic note (right-click the flat pattern view, select Annotations>Cut List Properties w/an updated cut list):

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

As Mr. Stoltzfus mentioned, you can use a design table and leverage Excel to generate what you need into custom property columns.

Attached here are the same files I attached at the bottom of: Sheet metal Gauge

It uses lookup functions, based on the gv Thickness, to look up the gauge, which then populates a custom property cell.

The material is read which looks up a k-factor and if the material isn't specified then a red note displays such on the drawing.

Perhaps you can use this file as a basis for what you're looking to accomplish.

Repeating Mr. Stolzfus, you will need to maintain the DT for new materials, changes, etc, but with the DT as part of a sheet metal part template, changes should be fairly easy unless they cascade heavily into existing part files.

If possible, I'd trim the list to the gauges and materials you'll encounter.

Once established and running, perhaps DT changes won't be too often.

I hope it helps.

Kevin

Chad Hawkenson

CAL SHEET.JPG

This is the actual spread sheet I have created for figuring if a supplied flat pattern will work with our breaks/tooling. As I change the Material type (Mild Steel/Stainless), Thickness (Via a table lookup), and available bend radius base on thickness (via a vlookup) I can then pull the tooling information from a table as you see in the bottom right high lighted line. It will string together the material information, bend radius, tooling required and deviation from calculated flat to supplied flat and take into consideration called out tolerance. It will actually flip Go or No Go based on user inputs.

My question can I get S.W. to do the same thing and push it to a custom property that I can have in the drawings I produce? From what I can tell all the information is right there from the Gauge tables I have set up, there is just no way to get that information out and append a small detail of information like Tooling that would correspond directly to the selected material.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Rebecca Bennett

We have worked very hard on developing a macro that delivers this (seemingly basic) information.

The macro calls on the cut list information; converts it and applies it to the custom properties where we can then have those dimensions automatically input into our templates and BOMs.

I did not write this macro, but I wanted to comment that it is possible.

Cut List Info:

Cut List Info.png

Partial Macro:

Macro Example.png

Run Results:

Run Results.png

Part Drawing:

Part Dwg.PNG

Todd Blacksher

I'm experimenting with the Custom Property Tab Builder (CPTB) right now, and I think that you could show gauge with this method.

(Side Note: The way I am currently testing would involve moving away from the gauge table.)

It is in the early stages of testing, and might be a little convoluted, but this is what I am playing around with . . .

We have a spreadsheet with reference information for our bending, so I am using the List Group within CPTB to make my selections and create custom properties based on the spreadsheet.

The "Material" pull down has our common sheet materials.

The "Thickness" pull down has the thicknesses available for the material chosen.

The "Bend Radius" pull down has the available tooling for the material of that specific thickness.

The "K-Factor" and "Bend Deduction" are based on all of the information above.

(Usually these only have a single option in the pull down menu, but some of them will have multiple, depending on the specific dies used.)

All of this is populated from the spreadsheet mentioned above.

I have a part template for sheet metal that is linked to these values.

This allows me to start a new part, open the custom properties tab, populate all of the information above, sketch the profile, create my base flange, rebuild, and all of the information is pushed to the part.

Any changes can be made through the custom properties tab.

All of these items are now custom properties that can be used wherever needed.

If you were to add a column that shows Gauge to the spreadsheet that is used for the List Group, you could add that as a custom property.

I'm not sold on this idea yet, like I said, it is just an experiment right now - there are things I like, things I don't like, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

I do like how the list group "funnels" you toward the necessary end result - in this case it is the K-Factor or Bend Deduction.

- It also prevents you from getting a thickness that is not available for a certain material, or picking a bend radius that won't work.

(I am testing something similar for powder coat colors - giving a bunch of different ways to get to the final powder part number.)

Very early stages of testing, we'll see what happens after I put it through the paces a little bit more.

I may end up going a completely different direction, who knows . . .

todd