6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2018 10:32 AM by Kevin Chandler

libraoffice calc

Bob Eppig

Does / Is there a time when Solidworks will work with something other than Excel?

We have stop using Excel in the office.

• Re: libraoffice calc
          Josh Brady

Not in the forseeable future. 

Kevin Chandler

Create an Enhancement Request (ER) and perhaps SW will change this.

Posting it here won't alter this, but with an ER, it might gain enough momentum to be implemented.

Note, this might not be too easily changed or made variable as I believe it's a COM interface situation.

Kevin

Matt Peneguy

Even better would be if they could grab the code and make the spreadsheet functionality part of SW.  Libreoffice is under the GPL...All they'd have to do, I believe, is release any changes they made to the code.  As embedded in SW as DTs are, it stands to reason that would be a good move.  But, I'm not sure how difficult and time consuming something like that would be.

Josh Brady

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Even better would be if they could grab the code and make the spreadsheet functionality part of SW. Libreoffice is under the GPL...All they'd have to do, I believe, is release any changes they made to the code. As embedded in SW as DTs are, it stands to reason that would be a good move. But, I'm not sure how difficult and time consuming something like that would be.

I have to disagree on this one... Unless it's embedded deeper into the core function such that things get evaluated all the time rather than just when entering/exiting the DT, I don't see the benefit/drawback being positive.  Yeah, I know there's some fraction of the SW user base that doesn't have Excel, but I would be shocked if that number is more than 0.1% (especially if you exclude students and home use).  If you put in LibreOffice and took out Excel, can you imagine the frustration of users who now have to learn a whole new spreadsheet program/syntax/etc just to make design tables?  You can make some pretty slick models by leveraging the power of spreadsheet functions, and the better you know Excel the better the models can be. 

Matt Peneguy

You make some valid points.  And I'm not saying it is at the top of what I'd consider their list of things to have done.  But, I was burned by having Excel 2016 and SW 2014. DTs would not work at all.  And the way it was messed up made it difficult to sort out.  If SW owns the code, then things like that shouldn't happen.

As far as functionality, I'm no Excel guru, but for most of what people do in DTs, LibreCalc equations are exactly the same.  There may be some minor differences, but I don't know what they are off the top of my head...I guess you've never used Libreoffice? There are some things it does sooo much better than Microsoft.  Ever try to embed an SVG in Word or Powerpoint?

But, you are correct, the resources involved to embed a spreadsheet into SW may be too large for them to take on for a small value.

And, I agree, if you can afford SW you can afford Excel.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I don't see OpenOffice (or any others) as an Excel replacement in SW because I don't think that would ever take off.

Too much entrenched Excel out there.

SW being a commercial product, most business are MS Office entrenched, for good or bad (which is another discussion), so MS isn't going anywhere soon.

In most places, non-standard software installs are not permitted, so SW would have to make the spreadsheet a system option choice, not just one spreadsheet vendor (other than Excel).

I would think this would be a large undertaking (relative to other ERs/SPRs in the queue that would add greater value and $ in their pocket) since I believe it involves using the COM interface (as I said before) and I doubt interfacing to OpenOffice is the same as to Excel, both in the command syntax and also for what each is exposing to the outside world through its COM interface.

I also doubt SW will go open source.

I use OpenOffice (somewhat) and Excel (mostly) and as was stated, for the basic equations they're similar, but in form, fit and function, they're two separate entities, even while just using them.

And the differences would be much more so, I'll wager, if you're programming to them, both for SW and for any 3rd party add-ons that also hook into Excel.

Office365 is fairly cheap, but I don't know if a cloud version works in our context (I suspect not).

You don't need the full blown Office suite, just buy the minimum that Excel plays nice with SW.

Given the cost of SW and its hardware, adding in Excel is a minor expense, and repeating myself again, this is a commercial product, so Excel should be factored into the SW budget.

Kevin