3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 8:42 AM by John Wayman

PDM Standard Viewer Licence - limitations?

John Wayman

I am considering the purchase of a bundle of Viewer licences to allow our Project people, purchasing and shop floor to access the vault data without having to go through an engineer.

These licences are not cheap, so I want to know I will not be wasting my money.

Does anyone have experience of using Viewer licences for PDM Standard? Note we are using Standard, not Professional - There are almost certainly some differences between what the professional viewer licences and the standard viewer licences can do.

In particular, I would like the Viewer licence users to be able to see BOMs, view, measure, section, query and explode eDrawings assemblies, view the auto-created PDF copies of drawings, and grab copies of PDF, STP and DXF files to send to our suppliers.

Do the PDM Standard Viewer licences let the Viewers do all these things?

I have a price from our VAR, plus a datasheet, but it all seems a bit vague regarding these specifics.

SW2018, SP4

Cheers,

John

• Re: PDM Standard Viewer Licence - limitations?
          Nadia Shea

View BOMs - Yes, as long as the user is permitted to see the CAD files, as the BOM is a tab on the data card. YES, if the systems creates Named BOM's (technically seperate files) and the viewer is permitted to see it.

View, measure, section, query, and explode eDrawing Assemblies - Yes.

View the auto-created PDF copies of drawings - Yes

Grab copies of PDF, STP, and DXF files to send out - Yes. Note: If this is a PDM Standard vault, there is not automated creation for STP or DXF as there is in PDM Pro. The limitation is that someone must create these files and check them in for the Viewers to proceed.

The best way to think of Viewers is it allows the users to 'consume' data (view, print, etc) that is located in the vault. Viewer are not allowed to 'add' data, 'modify' data, or participate in the data process (push files through workflow).  To get further technical - if a Viewer is permitted to 'see' the file, in reality, they have a local copy of the file. Once they have this local copy, they can copy it out of the vault and do whatever they want to with it. That has pros and cons but definitely helpful with the scenario of being able to provide files to external sources. Other companies want to prevent that action. The idea of employees emailing out proprietary data makes them clench. PDM Pro's web client actually can allow some users to 'see' data but prevent them from downloading and get a copy of it. Growing up to this allows companies to grant limited access to external users, thus freeing up internal employees to managing what data these external users have.

I hope this helps!