11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2018 3:12 PM by Sascha Smolny

PDM Professional - Few questions after migrating from WPDM

Sascha Smolny

Hello,

we are in the process of transferring data from the Workgroup PDM to PDM Professional with our VAR.

We have now received the first test data and im Trying to create PDF from all Drawings. (That is not included by the Migration from our VAR)

I'm still waiting for answers from our support, but I want to clarify this.

So i have a few important Questions before we can go live with PDM Professional.

1.) Is there a way to Open a Assembly always in the latest Revision? I have found the option "always work with latest version of files" but not a option to work always with a version "as created". (What do you call that right in English? In the PDM we could choose in German language "Wie erstellt".

Is it right that i have to choose the latest Revision of the assembly to get the Referenced parts in the right (often older) Version? Otherwise the last locally available version will be opened?

This is e.g. in the documentation department our daily business, as some parts change more often and we need the Version "as created"...

2.) The Drawings properties (Drawing-No, Description etc. from the referenced Part/Assembly) are only updating if i open the Drawing in SolidWorks make a rebuild and  save the document. We have a lot Drawings and it is not possible for our small team of 5 designers to open all of the tens of thousands drawings to update them. How can we automate this process? Only with a self written macro? Also here we have to be careful that we open the Drawing with "as created".

3.) We have a PDF generation in the Workflow "Approved". The PDF will be created on a Task-Host machine.

If i have a older Assembly, the Assembly will be opened on the Task-Host Machine with Parts in the latest Version and the PDF is not created as expected. What are we doing wrong? Is there a setting for this?

Correct PDFs are very important to us.

4.) We have a few Assemblies where the parts are not found. In these Assemblies we have to manual select the right File (the Files are still present in the Vault). How can I find and replace these references before?
      On the PDF Creation there were no error created but on the PDF this Parts are missing.

Sorry for wrong terms. Im very new to PDM Professional and use it in German language.

Regards

Sascha

• Re: PDM Professional - Few questions after migrating from WPDM
          Nadia Shea

I'll try to answer you as thoroughly as I can.

1. I want to make sure I'm clear. You mention latest 'Revision', which may not be the same as the latest 'version'.  Are you asking if you can force users to open the latest 'approved' version of the files naturally?

2.) This is by design. While PDM hosts the 'metadata', it can never get pushed to the files until they are open,rebuilt, and saved. In most processes, this appears 'seamless' to the users.   After a migration, I would recommend you use the 'PDM File Version Upgrade Utillity' to automate the rebuild of your files in this way. Don't let the word 'Upgrade' in the title mislead you. It will actually also rebuild 2018 files in the 2018 version. I use it a lot in my migrations and implementations.

2018 SOLIDWORKS PDM Help - Upgrading SOLIDWORKS Files

3.) There is an option in the PDM task itself to use 'as built' vs 'latest' versions.

4) There is no easy or simple answer to this question and the answer can vary quite a bit depending on the complexity of the data/folder structure that you have had migrated.   The broadest answer is essentially there is no automated tool out there that will go and fix broken or missing references. Prior to migration (depending on data source), your service provider may have been able to give you a list of assembly files that will have missing/broken references. I don't personally know of a tool that could run that check AFTER it's been placed in a PDM vault. I'm sure it's not impossible but if no one has written one yet, timing might not make that useful to you.

The best way to fix them is simply to fix them manually. Check out and open the assemblies, use the normal CAD tools to fix references, save and check in. It should generally be a one time clean up action. After using PDM for a while, you'll soon gain confidence that it's pretty darn hard to break references with moving/renaming files once they're in the vault. I realize identifying these isn't so fun. I'd ask your migration service provider if it's possible they could pull that list for you from your old data source.

Sascha Smolny

Hello,

@Nadia Shea

many thanks for your detailed answer. This is very helpful for me!

1.) Sorry for my bad way of expression. I want to open the Assembly (this file in the latest saved Version) and get the referenced Parts in the Version as they were stored in the assembly. That would be the same as open the Assembly from Workgroup-PDM ("as build").

Maybe I understand it wrong...but here is an example:

a) I have a assembly with parts in an older version. If i had all files in my local cache in the latest Version and open this Assembly with a double click

open.png

I get the Files all in the latest Version (that i have locally). If i had locally older Files the checkbox "get" ("holen") will be set and the file will be changed to the latest Version.

If I say "Version holen" (get Version)

open2.png

I get the right versions ("as created"):

open3.png

But if i than open the Assembly with a double click:

open4.png

and i let the checked items as is...i get again the latest Version of the files and not the Version "as created".

My Settings (in German):

settings.png

What i am doing wrong?

2.) Thanks for the Tip with the conversion utility. This is a good idea! The question is answered. I'll look at how I can do that best.

3.) Thanks for show me the option. This option is actually set for me, but the created PDF is wrong. I will test it with a few other Assemblys.

@Sam / @Nadia Shea

4.) Thanks for the Tips. I will try to create a macro to find out in how many Assemblys the Parts are missing. If i must manual update these Assemblys i must do it before i run the Conversion utility (!?)...or my Assemblys are than not correct.

I have a lot to do there...

Regards

Sascha

[EDIT]

I have found the error in the PDF generation.
              We have a "Working" folder for Workgroup-PDM (at least until the changeover has taken place). If there are Referenced Files SolidWorks open it from there and not from the PDM Professional folder. I think that's very dangerous!

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

I have now tested with the Conversion Utility. Rebuild seems not to work properly. I Use PDM Professional 2018 SP4 with SolidWorks 2017 (SP5). I don't know if there is a problem.
              The converted Parts are remaining in "File Needs to be Rebuilt in SolidWorks" and the Drawing properties are not filled in the Data Cards.I use the Options:
              "Overwrite existing versions of files" - "Overwrite" - "Latest Version"

"Save pre-2003 drawings..." - "Do complete rebuild (Ctrl+Q) on files - "Process files already in target format"

Am I doing something wrong?

[/EDIT2]

Sam Sam

Hi,

p.4) - A lot of things depend on how to move files to PDM and from different SolidWorks and PDM settings.

These are settings of external references, as a rule they remain in files, and have identification which protects from accidental changeover by other file.

In such cases, I try to use Pack and Go for relocation in PDM (at the same time it is necessary to pay attention to Warnings).

In certain cases it is possible to solve a problem having selected the file from SolidWorks (without opening) and to view References... (button below on the right). There it is possible to replace the necessary files and links.

It is also possible to try to select the file in PDM explorer and to Update references... There too are some opportunities.

For a start it is possible to try these options, but a lot of things depend on files and not always it helps.

In such cases, it is necessary to copy missing files in PDM and to resolve issues depending on a problem.

Sometimes Copy Tree (SolidWorks Explorer) and TreeHourse helps with the solution of problems.

Sam Sam

... To [EDIT2] :

There is Log  file of the task Convert - what in it?

There is a button expanded parameters - where it is possible to select the SolidWorks/version

And still advice (It treat not to PDM, but to records on forum) - for adding of new records to select below on the right the required section - "to respond" (or answer?) *. Thus time of the response and the sequence of responses will be visible (and it is simpler to be guided in information).

* - I use the translation too, therefore mismatches are possible.

Sascha Smolny

Hello,

here is the log file from a test conversion: SWXlog - Google Docs

There are warnings "WARNING: Referenced file not found". But if i understand the log correct the Drawings are successfully converted.

I have chosen SolidWorks 2017 in the util.

I have now also used the option

"Skip for broken references" (in the Dialog "Version settings") - no change

Than i have additionally checked the option "Ignore files containing missing references". Now i get a list in the log with Files that are not converted (missing references). As expected...

Regards

Sascha

Sam Sam

1. Set up in the task the messages if it is successful / an error.

2. In Trey - set up a task host Configuration.

3. Launch the task on one file.

4. In settings of the user shall be - can accept execution of tasks on a host.

5. What version number of SOLIDWORKS PDF Task Add-in 2018010065?

Nadia Shea

Sascha Smolny wrote:

Than i have additionally checked the option "Ignore files containing missing references". Now i get a list in the log with Files that are not converted (missing references). As expected...

This is GREAT. I have used this option and forgot about how useful it is. This is a your list of 'missing references'.

Also... This is a great thread. These are very common issues that need to be addressed during a migration and I'm glad they are being discussed in an open forum. They ARE challenges but not insurmountable. The cool thing is once they are addressed once, it's not a persistent or systemic issue in the future...  it's a huge pay off for data management.

Sorry I haven't been more involved with the continued technical discussion (work always gets in the way! )  but just wanted to say, I appreciate the dialog.

Sascha Smolny

Hello,

what does the PDF Task Addin have to do with it? I have version: 2018040076

I have activated the Task messages. I have also activated the conversion Mails. If i execute on one Folder (i dont know how i can only select one file) i became this mails:

Dateiversionsaktualisierung gestartet

SOLIDWORKS PDM Benachrichtigung

Aktualisierungsdetails:

Host: LPC61

Datum und Zeit: 2018-09-25 09:02:12

Benutzer: Admin

Instruktionsdatei: Upgrade 5BA9F999 Batch 1.wrkins

and

Dateiversionsaktualisierung abgeschlossen

SOLIDWORKS PDM Benachrichtigung

Aktualisierungsdetails:

Host: LPC61

Datum und Zeit: 2018-09-25 09:04:07

Benutzer: Admin

Instruktionsdatei: Upgrade 5BA9F999 Batch 1.wrkins

Many thanks for your Help!

Regards

Sascha

Sascha Smolny

Hello!

Nadia Shea

This is GREAT. I have used this option and forgot about how useful it is. This is a your list of 'missing references'.

Also... This is a great thread. These are very common issues that need to be addressed during a migration and I'm glad they are being discussed in an open forum. They ARE challenges but not insurmountable. The cool thing is once they are addressed once, it's not a persistent or systemic issue in the future...  it's a huge pay off for data management.

Right. I had not thought of that at all. But it gives me only the missing references when i am ready with the whole conversion.

[off topic]

I had many issues with my conversion. I have no rest to wait for our VAR. We want to start the real data acquisition on Friday. But at this moment i can not believe that it takes place. I have many questions and can not confirm that the conversion will be running fine.

It would be nice if there was a collection of common migration issues. That would make it much easier to find solutions for mostly simple problems.

I also miss a way to reasonably check the data after a conversion. My Idea is to generate much PDF and try to compare them with the PDF from my Workgroup-PDM.

DiffPDF seems to be a good option for that. But i need to automate Open the documents from the WPDM and PDM-Prof...than we can quickly compare with a few clicks.

At the moment I'm also writing a macro to open and modify our Drawings. I have made a mistake in a sheet-format (8 years ago) and need to remove manually one reference note in one Sheet format (about 5000 Drawings). That's not that easy...i have to open the Drawings "as created" and i am very new to the PDM-Prof API. My Idea is to rewrite the script in the PDF Task. Than can i use the program logic from SWX to open the Drawings as created. (Thanks again for the tip). Than i can checkout/modify/rebuild/checkin the open drawing.

[/off topic]

Sam Sam

2018040076 - correct version.

For execution of the task on files - in settings of the Menu of the user add Add-ins in case of a file choice.

There is Antivirus? Add processes of SolidWorks, PDM, Explorer - to exceptions.

In Vault Tasks there shall be Task List - it is possible to view their execution.

You can try in Advanced Scripting Options - Reset... - sometimes helps.

If i use the conversion utility no task will be executed. Why should it? Only if i change a state (e.g. Approved) a PDF will be generated.

I could imagine that my workgroup PDM is locking the files. But actually it should be off. I'll try it tomorrow morning. Now we have 9 P.M. and I'm too tired

Do I have to be logged in as admin?

If this way will not work (i can not believe) i can modify my script above and rebuild my drawings on my way.

To my first question in the first post...i have called our VAR Support. There is no other way to open Assemblies "as created". I think i will try to write a macro and add it to the context menu to open the assemblies. But I will do that much later...Now there are more important things to do.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Sascha