9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2018 7:26 AM by Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Dennsi bacon has a question

Dennis Bacon

This has in progress for a couple of years now. Maybe not that long but this a 1/60th   of the  scale of the Reba's Ranch in Texas I had all the dwgs of the people whodid t this.. It is a big deal for the people in Texas.... sort of like a Ronald MacDonald house  m The major question is  we are now   thinking of a .105 sst was goin to use all wouls  The wood mostly white oak 3/4" I have done much research on the and am concerned that that my fry the wood and glue..  110 degrees in not uncommon Rubén Rodolfo BalderramaTodd BlacksherDave Bear John Stoltzfus It's a bird feedr...

What you  see here is a very simplifiied  Sorry for any misspellingg.. I lost my glasses.. Don't know what I going to do about that yet..

• Re: Dennsi bacon has a question
          Dave Bear

Hi Buddy,

This is looking fantastic! I'm so glad you are putting yourself back into it!

I guess you are talking about the sheet metal roofing Dennis ?

Can you not use a light coloured powder-coated metal that might not absorb too much heat?

Dave.

Dennis Bacon

no I was thinking that  the sst base may absorb too much heat... I did  several studies in the 70~s on this  Jut st want to knot what the sheet meat-la base wouldd have have an infect on the the wood. I know we live in different time zones But I can't rest until I get the answered The sheet metal rooof.036 sst will stay... For some reason that doe-sent  bother me .. They are going to absorptive  some heat.. but I'm wondering what would would happen with the base.. Texas get. realy hot..

Dave Bear

Sorry mate, my mistake........

Stainless steel is a great conductor of heat and this could also distract the birds perhaps?

Could a galvanized base be an option? Any metal is going to get hot really but if the wood has been seasoned properly at the mill and then you apply a good protective coating (and maintain that), you might not have too many issues.

Dave.

Dennis Bacon

Yea that was thing.. whas supposed to be be wood  But my ex bos (brilliant man) thought ioin sst would be easir to make it from sst   Thats waht I do. But am afraid of the heat roustabout We would have mill this lots of holes and slots... Were thingkin o of jitterbuging  it to death in order to keep the  Reflection of ... Don't want to blind pilots but I just don't like it .. I say  do it in wood and surfer the conscienceless..  I would like to see what John Stoltzfus has to say about this.

Todd Blacksher

I'm a big fan of metal, and really like stainless, but it would get HOT!

Have you considered any of the solid surface materials (such as Corian)?

They use it for counter tops, and you can get it in varying thicknesses.

It cuts great on a waterjet, doesn't hold heat, and is available in a ton of colors/patterns.

My thought would be to treat that whole thing like a 3D printer -

Take your solid model, offset a series of planes to "slice" it, cut all of the sections, and stack them up.

It is a bit of a crude description, hopefully you get the idea.

todd

Dennis Bacon

yep... I get the idea. Thank you Todd.. Think my former boos  had the same idea.. Just got to figure a way to cut or route it. I have many holes in this to attach the walls and for drainage... I am looking up Corian  as we speak.. Not sure what my boss had in mind.. It was something he found on MCarr. Some how lost that email. Done a lot of counter tops in my time.. Thank you so much for this...

Edit... Just wanted to add This has to be stable.. I don't  expect people to be pounding on it but you never know. Also don't want people to get scalded if they touch it.

Todd Blacksher

The nice thing about solid surface material (Corian, Avonite, Swanstone, etc.) is that it machines great, and cuts like butter on a water jet. If you have access to a water jet or a CNC router, you are in good shape.

(One of our maker spaces in town has a CNC router - check for that or other businesses.)

As far as stability goes, my thought was to cut small "alignment holes" in the walls so that you can stack the pieces on steel pins, and there is a special glue for solid surface material that basically "welds" it together - works great!

Kids toy as an example:

Get a couple sheets of .25" thick solid surface material, cut & stack!

(Great, now I want to go make something like this . . .)

t

John Stoltzfus

Dennis Bacon wrote:

This has in progress for a couple of years now. Maybe not that long but this a 1/60th of the scale of the Reba's Ranch in Texas I had all the dwgs of the people whodid t this.. It is a big deal for the people in Texas.... sort of like a Ronald MacDonald house m The major question is we are now thinking of a .105 sst was goin to use all wouls The wood mostly white oak 3/4" I have done much research on the and am concerned that that my fry the wood and glue.. 110 degrees in not uncommon Rubén Rodolfo BalderramaTodd BlacksherDave Bear John Stoltzfus It's a bird feedr...

What you see here is a very simplifiied Sorry for any misspellingg.. I lost my glasses.. Don't know what I going to do about that yet..

Good to see you're using SW Wood is ok, however I would do some research on woods that don't rot, unless there's no long periods of moisture.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Durable woods maybe will be use: Bubinga, mahogany, chestnut, American cedar, cerejeira, American cherry, oak, jatoba, red meranti, mongoy, movingui, okala, white oak, european oak, larch, sipo and wengue.

Rob Edwards has expertise on wood....but if I need to made your projet I will make it on wood.

You will be made something like this to made the assy.

Resultado de imagen para encastres en maderaResultado de imagen para encastres en madera

https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=encastres+en+madera&safe=off&rlz=1C1OPRB_enAR534AR534&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0…

Maybe I choose this screws too

Resultado de imagen para tornillo punta aguja