5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2018 6:51 AM by Jose Quinones

License Manager

Jose Quinones

Anybody knows if Solidworks 2019 will make it easier to switch computers using the same license? Reason I ask is because I run SW on two computers. My main computer is where I design the parts. I spend most of the time designing parts here. The second computer is where I run the CNC machine, and I only need SW to do touchups on details I missed. Rest assured this is required 101% of the times!

On the other license based tools that I have (i.e. Altium), you can grab the license by just going to the computer you want to use. The systems knows to disable the license on the computer where it is not being used. As it is, however, SW requires me to go to the computer where the license is, deactivate it, and then go to the other computer and activate it, and so on. Kind of a hassle which might be perfectly acceptable in 2005, but not as much on 2018. This would be a cool feature to have for sure!

• Re: License Manager
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Jose, there is no new feature in SolidWorks 2019, that will help with your situation. However, SolidWorks has had network licensing available for quite some time. From what you describe, it

sounds like you have a standalone (machine-locked) license. You can convert this to a network license, and then SolidWorks will behave just like Altium (shutting down SolidWorks on one computer immediately makes it available for use on another computer)

There is a one-off conversion fee however,

you can find out more information from your VAR.

Hope that helps

Prasad Bhonsule

Ryan Dark

Hi Jose,

Have you tried Online Licensing?  It was released to the user base in 2018 SP2.0 and allows you to attach your license to a set of login credentials instead of manual activation/deactivation.  You would then just login to whichever machine you wish to use at the time and the license would be moved there.  This does require a consistent internet connection to these machines though.

If you are using version 2018 and a standalone license then your license already does this.

Jose Quinones

OK, I tried the Online Licensing as portrayed by the video, but it still does not work. It continues to ask me to activate the license even when my.solidworks.com has the license as "Online Licensing". Maybe it needs to propagate or something so I will try a little later to see if it works. The video is very well put together and makes it seems super easy, so I am wondering if I am missing a step...