6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2009 2:08 PM by Matthew Lorono

2009 Slot feature almost useless (Personel opinion)

Ben Guenther
      Hi All,

I hope nobody finds this post too annoying, but I am posting to see if others feel the same.

I was really looking forward to the slot feature in SW 2009 when I first heard about it, truth is I never use it because:
      - you can't make one end large then the other end.
      -you can't select a point in the slot to add a relation to something else like make it horizontal or somthing like that.
      -when you try to select something on the slot the whole slot is automatically selected.

I mainly just work with sheetmetal so I would have used the slot feature alot for bolt slots and or even to make a flat bar.

I never use it because if i want to make one end of the slot or the flat bar larger or smaller then i have to delete it and make a slot the old way and if I do then my mates and any references that I had to it are all broken.

Please post your opinions.
        • 2009 Slot feature almost useless (Personel opinion)
          Kelvin Lamport
          I use the slot tool frequently for creating solids and cuts. I think it's a very useful addition.

"- you can't make one end large then the other end. "
          I've never needed to.

"-you can't select a point in the slot to add a relation to something else like make it horizontal or somthing like that."
          Yes you can! When creating (or editing) the slot sketch, it behaves like any other sketch.

"-when you try to select something on the slot the whole slot is automatically selected."
          Although the whole sketch is highlighted, the clicked-on element is being selected.

There are all kinds of 'fancy' slots in the Design Library > Features > Sheet Metal section. If what you want isn't there you can create it yourself.

It would have been really nice if a Slot Wizard with more options could have been introduced, but I'm happy with baby steps. Sometimes the big steps create stumbles.
              Ben Guenther
              Kelvin,

Thanks for the reply.

"-you can't select a point in the slot to add a relation to something else like make it horizontal or somthing like that."
              Yes you can! When creating (or editing) the slot sketch, it behaves like any other sketch.

Hmm.. I can't figure out how to do that. Have you tried selecting 2 points on a 3 point arc slot on opposite ends of the slot and making them horizontal ?

I think that it does not behave like any other slot unless I just don't know how to use it properly.
              Joe Dunfee
              When I constrain a slot to be horizontal/vertical, I select the center line that is down the middle of the slot, rather than the perimeter lines.

Joe Dunfee
                Garrett Brooks
                "- you can't make one end large then the other end. "

right click explode slot, add 2 tangent relations and delete the equal relation
                this will remove the automatic center temporary axis though
                but you can create another off the center point of the slot sketch and the top plane of the part
                  Matthew Lorono
                  Ben, I was originally hoping they would make an actual slot feature. However, I like the way the slot sketch tool works too. There's still some things that need improvement, but it is finally a step in the right direction.