10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 2:19 PM by Anton Mochan

Threads callouts

Anton Mochan

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out, is it possible and is it necessary to have thread callout (in my case it is 1/4NPT) on annotation view through MBD?

• Re: Threads callouts
          Logan Pegler

Hi Anton,

If you've used the hole wizard to create the threaded hole, a size dimension should create a thread callout for you:

Anton Mochan

This is my problem. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I do not have this callout.

I created new part with whole through the wizard, and still nothing.

Casey Gorman

Anton,

It may have to do with whether or not the annotation view that the hole call out is on or not. Check to see if that annotaion view is on or off. If it is on, then it might be a view orientation issue.

Alessandro TORNINCASA

Anton,

first of all, welcome to the SOLIDWORKS forums! My welcome is even warmer since you're joining this area that is passionate for MBD, the future of communication.

I apolgize for the inconvenience that happened.

DimXpert, or better, MBD Dimensions (that's how we call it in SOLIDWORKS 2019) has ben designed to recognize a vast number of manufacturing features, including holes, therefore, as Logan suggested, an MBD size dimension should create a hole callout.

My recommendation is connecting with your VAR and send them this model to check what could be source of this issue.

Please let us know about your findings.

Best regards,

Alessandro

Anton Mochan

Alessandro,

Thanks for you answer, I'm not sure what do you mean by the VAR.

Alessandro TORNINCASA

Anton,

that stands for Value Added reseller.

By the way, what's your aim in this case ? Are you going to use this model for drawingless manufacturing (i.e. sending this directly to manufacturing ot a 3D PDF) ? Or do you need to leverage on PMI information for other processes like tolerance analysis ?

If your aim is just creating some 3D views for a drawingless model, you could use this "creative approach"

1) Model the hole with advanced hole feature (DimXpert GD&T rule checker seems to ignore it and this will result in having no errors when creating position tolerance)

2) Creare a pattern feature (collection) that would include conical portion of the hole, tapped portion, and final cone)

3) Insert a position tolerance (when clicking it will highlight all the above features)

4) Use a note with multiple braches to mimic the callout (each branch will reference an entity giving ability to click on the note and get visual feedback on the hole callout)

Cattura.PNG

Hope this helps.

Alex

Anton Mochan

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your answer and explanations.

This is my problem, I don't want to mimic the callouts, because I have some parts where can be 10s of threaded holes.

Best Regards

Anton

Alessandro TORNINCASA

Hi Anton,

according to my knowledge, SOLIDWORKS MBD provides ability to add an MBD size dimension to a hole feature resulting in creation of a hole callout with quantity. Moreover, patterns are reconized most of the time, therefore, when clicking on size dimension, all holes of that size would be cross-highlighted.

When you mentioned 10s of threaded holes, do you mean that you're mostly creating NPT holes ?

If so, are you using MBD to create a drawingless representation of  hydraulic manifold blocks like these ?

hydraulic-manifold.jpg

Thank you,

Alessandro