9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 4:54 AM by Casey Gorman

Where are all of the MBD users?

Casey Gorman

With the attendance of the MBD Advocacy meeting in LA last year, I would have thought there would have been a bit of activity here. Are people still learning about it? Has everyone found how usefully it is?

Casey

• Re: Where are all of the MBD users?
          Deepak Gupta

I've got my MBD certification done and now working on how to implement it down stream.

John Stoltzfus

Per our conversations (PM) - we are only doing preliminary studies to see what for changes we need to make to our workflow.  The only issue for us here is that I use multiple sheets in my drawing files, so I only need to open one file instead of 10, 20 or 50 files, depending on the project.  I can see that being an issue for us here, otherwise it is a much needed tool here. I really like the BOM side of it and how easy it is to setup etc, much quicker.

The other areas needed for enhancement is when inserting the BOM into the assembly file, it is a little difficult to edit the BOM and to sort the BOM etc.

The biggest issue is that the 2D drawings in SolidWorks have set a high bar and it will be difficult to use MBD, unless SW makes a lot of enhancements.

But......  Like I have mentioned before, there could be other reasons making it difficult to migrate over and those points are - lack of training, workflow, & user input etc..

I will try to keep this post updated as well

MBD - Testing - 30 Day Trial started today - MBD Tips Anybody??

Casey Gorman

It will be interested to watch your progress. To me assemblies are were some of the largest challenges are. Working from a small screen just has it's draw backs. Granted, you can really zoom in to see what you are looking for, but then you can necessarily see it in context. Maybe 2 screens?

When I first started making the transition (2015) I found it was my personal bias, or thinking that created hurdles. One I started removing those limitations that I placed upon myself, things really opened up.

John Pesaturo

Honestly, the biggest sticking point at our facility are the workstations throughout the facility. Followed only by the inordinate cost of implementing an appropriate PDM system. We have been trying for years to get a paperless system in place but there's much more to it than we had envisioned.

Everyone can visualize the benefits. We can see the path forward, but implementation is a bridge too far at this time. In the grand scheme, money is by far the biggest limiting factor for us. ROI justification has been an ordeal to say the least.

Arthur McRae

John Pesaturo wrote:

Honestly, the biggest sticking point at our facility are the workstations throughout the facility. Followed only by the inordinate cost of implementing an appropriate PDM system. We have been trying for years to get a paperless system in place but there's much more to it than we had envisioned.

Everyone can visualize the benefits. We can see the path forward, but implementation is a bridge too far at this time. In the grand scheme, money is by far the biggest limiting factor for us. ROI justification has been an ordeal to say the least.

Our president is very much on board with this, and is in fact pushing for it.  But computers are only as smart as the people telling it what to do and when I daily hear a project manager yelling at the stupid printer... obviously they are both not going paperless and are unable to use technology compatently

Casey Gorman

@Arthur McRae  it is great that your president is on board with MBD. It really helps to have support from the top. Mind set of coworkers is the biggest hurtle. People can be set in their ways and flat refuse to see anything outside of their box. This is where having upper management on board really helps. They can push your coworkers to comply or move on.

Patrick Urbanek

Hello together,

are there any german people or people working on MBD in Germany? I am and it would be very interresing to hear some of your experience.

I am also working in this topic.

best regards

Patrick