4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 12:33 PM by Rick McDonald

solidworks server licenses

Mosab Mohammed

Hello,

I want to buy solidworks server licenses, and I want to install the solidworks in 9 computers divided in 3 groups (divided factories).

Can I make the drawing files of each group insulated of the other groups ?

• Re:  solidworks server licenses
          Scott Ellery

Hi Mosab ,

I am not entirely sure but I suspect you would like all three factories to be able to share design data?

as far pulling license you could fairly easily setup VPN's between facilities and I would imagine you could share design files via a network drive and decent network connection but it might be very slow getting files back and forth.

generally I recommend looking at SOLIDWORKS PDM if you have more than one office as it can sync up all your design data so everyone can work off of the same data source.

Mosab Mohammed

.the Idea of companying all of those factories in one server license is to save some of the purchase costs

and finally, I do want to share the files between each group, but I don't want to share the files between all of the groups.

Rick McDonald

I don't use SWX PDM (unfortunately) so I am not sure, but I know you can set permissions to individual users and/or groups.

My guess is that if the groups are all tied to the same PDM  system, the administrator of the system could set the permissions of certain files, folders or items so that they could only be available to those that have the correct permissions.  If the 3 different sites are all linked to the same PDM system then it should work.

That is part of the concept of PDM.

I suggest you contact your VAR and they will be able to answer all your questions and when you purchase it, they will be able to help you set it up and train the people to use it.

Glenn Schroeder

Mosab Mohammed wrote:

Hello,

I want to buy solidworks server licenses, and I want to install the solidworks in 9 computers divided in 3 groups (divided factories).

Can I make the drawing files of each group insulated of the other groups ?

That should be fairly simple.  Save the files of each group in a location that's not accessible to the other two.