0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2018 8:10 AM by Thiago Motta

Exported SLDPRT file in C# has 24KB, which is invalid.

Thiago Motta

Hello,

So I've started a few weeks ago to develop a C# code to call some Solidworks methods but have always faced this problem when exporting a SLDPRT file, which sometimes will return Error = 0, Warnings = 0, saved = true, but will result in a file with 24KB no matter the size of the input file.

The file Im importing is a Parasolid with 326MB, although this error is not specific to neither this file or with its size.

The code to import the Parasolid goes as follows:

int Err = 0;
      ModelDoc2 swModel = null;
      swModel = ( ModelDoc2 )job.SwInstance.LoadFile4( inputFilename, "r", null, ref Err );

At this point, swModel isnt Null anymore and Err=0. Everything is going well so far. Next step is to export to SLDPRT:

swModel = job.SwInstance.ActiveDoc as ModelDoc2;
      swModel.ClearSelection2( true );
      bool saved = swModel.Extension.SaveAs( outputFilename, ( int )swSaveAsVersion_e.swSaveAsCurrentVersion,
                      ( int )swSaveAsOptions_e.swSaveAsOptions_Silent, null, ref Err, ref Warnings );

I have the following option set for SLDPRT exporting (although there are some more, but for STL exporting):

swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue( ( int )swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swSaveAssemblyAsPartOptions, 
      ( int )swSaveAsmAsPartOptions_e.swSaveAsmAsPart_ExteriorFaces ); //Save SLDPRT as ExteriorFaces only

This is the point where Err = 0, Warnings = 0, saved = true and my resulting file size is 24KB. A workaround that works for me is to just retry the operation, which works 100% of the time. Unfortunately, this doesn't work on my client computer and even after retrying 5 times (which never happened to me, so I don't know how to debug it), it will still display no Error, warnings, and the file size will remain 24KB.

I'm starting solidworks with the following line, as suggested at How to open second SolidWorks from C# :

SolidWorks = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start( SolidWorksPath( ), "/m" );

Before anyone asks, yes, this program I'm developing does open several Solidworks instances to run this conversion on each of them, but this error is happening regardless of if 1 or 6 instances are running.

Has anyone stumbled upon this? I'm using Solidworks 2018 SP2 on Windows 10 x64.

Let me know if I can be of any help or provide you with any more information. Thank you all!