3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 4:06 PM by Paul Salvador

Diamond pattern on curved surface

Roman Suski

Has anyone been successful creating Checkering(diamond pattern on a curved surface. I had very limited success. I was able project one diamond but it would not allow me to draft it. I had to manually add a chamfer. I patterned some of the features and started to chamfer them. After a few features i could not chamfer more than 3 edges.  Has anyone found a faster way of doing this?

• Re: Diamond pattern on curved surface
          Dennis Dohogne

Roman Suski wrote:

Has anyone been successful creating Checkering(diamond pattern on a curved surface. I had very limited success. I was able project one diamond but it would not allow me to draft it. I had to manually add a chamfer. I patterned some of the features and started to chamfer them. After a few features i could not chamfer more than 3 edges. Has anyone found a faster way of doing this?

If you can wait for SWX2019 it has a new feature that does exactly that very easily.  Check out the new stuff:  SOLIDWORKS Launch 2019: What's new in SOLIDWORKS 2019 - YouTube

Paul Salvador

Hello Roman,.. what is your need or end result.....real data (cnc/machined) or mesh (stl/rapid prototyping)...?

BTW,.. can you post your surface and pattern?   If the surface conditions are good and the pattern is also good,.. a Wrap feature.. may work?

also,.. if you have access to Rhino3D.. this is how you can do it..  you can export/import your surface into Rhino3D, create the custom pattern, export/import back into SW.

Custom patterns with Paneling Tools - YouTube

Arthur McRae

So, are you trying to pattern it at the sketch level or the feature level?  As well as what are you checkering? a bent sheet metal?  I will now make some assumptions and my solution for that.

When I'm doing something like this it would be on a sheet metal part with bends on it.  I would create a sketch with the diamond that I want to pattern.  In that sketch I would create construction lines in the 3 directions that I would need to pattern it (as in my mind's version of this it doesn't wrap back onto itself).  The construction lines would be to lengths that the pattern is based on.  I would flatten or unbend if there is need to re-bend afterwards, I would do my feature with the drafts/chamfers I want. I would then make a linear pattern that feature over the shortest distance.  Then I would do a 2 direction linear pattern of that pattern on at the checkering angle and long direction.
              Or if there was curved only face you could do a curve driven pattern or a circular pattern.