6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 12:39 PM by Paul Salvador

Trimming a imported solid issues

Jim Moses

Hi,

Ok let me start I imported a step from Hiwin, site for a block (HGW20CCZ0C & HGW25CCZ0C) now the models imported correctly except the planes and a few other items are off a bit like 6-8 places out, I know it doesn't matter, but I am one who can't for the life of me figure out why things are not a whole number and try to correct it.

Both of these files have this issue the 25 is the one I am showing you the issues below.

Now the block in the below picture is a HGW25CC, and the dim from mounting face to rail mounting face is 36mm so I set my Front face exactly that distance, yet I have 3 faces that according to the measure tool are in line yet clearly are not. and as you can see by the below images. (also note it should be 70 mm wide which is also skewed)

my thought was to trim everything by a box yet Solidworks wont allow me to trim it square

So am I missing something as i tried to move it correctly or is my measure tool hosed or something else going on as what I am trying to do should work.

Regards,

• Re: Trimming a imported solid issues
          Alex Burnett

I'm not sure why it's a huge concern to correct an error that is 6 places out on a mm dimension but I was curious about what was going on. It looks like if the dimension is that small of a cut that SW doesn't see it as an interference to allow the cut to process.

To get around that, I modified a couple of things before performing your cut and added in the fillet that I removed in order to get it to work.

Is this what you wanted?

Paul Salvador

Alex,.. nice!.. yeah, I hear ya too... but,.. when you do more than a few of these, the +/- stackup's happen fast and can really be confusing at times (and I'm not that anal).

Alex Burnett

Paul, I certainly understand the need for that precision in high accuracy equipment. You continue to show me that there is more than one way to get the model to cooperate so I appreciate seeing your alternative and more efficient solution.

I know that tolerance stackups happen and would be very annoyed if it was due to a vendor model just being wrong.

Jim Moses

Alex,

Thanks, I like your method a little better than Paul's, but either would fix something that shouldn't have to be corrected, it may not matter on small assemblies, but if anyone has done very large machines they can understand the stack-up issues that little things add up to.

I am not sure if they don't teach people now days to chose a whole number when typing in things or maybe its stack-up issues between cad systems, but it is one of those pet peeves of mine, as I will never understand why things are off in any CAD system, least of all product dimensions.  I know it could be worse, just look at floor plan layouts, once had to deal with a company that used Revit and everything was rounded to the next 1/4" inch, but nothing was drawn remotely close to the dimensions given. 

Thanks all for your input and confirming I was not going nuts.

Regards,

Paul Salvador

Hello Jim... you brought back many memories of my seeing this as well... highly accurate stage models with inaccurate data.. it's amazing how many models I had too repair!?

..anyhow.. I'd suggest using Replace Face.. (image/file attached)

replaceface5.png