9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2018 10:41 AM by Matt Peneguy

Display configuration specific dimension in a note

Rob Monto

Is there a way to display a configuration specific dimension in a note? In previous versions we would use the format "D1@Sketch1@@ConfigName@PartFile.sldprt" to display config specific dimensions. When using this format in Solidworks 2018 SP4, it only displays the active configuration dimension.

• Re: Display configuration specific dimension in a note
          Glenn Schroeder

It's so easy to click on the "Link to Property" icon and select the desired property from the drop-down that I've never bothered learning all the specific syntax for linking notes.

Rob Monto

Thanks Glenn - I'm looking to display a sketch dimension, not a custom property.

Matt Peneguy

Yeah,

I just checked. It doesn't work even in a custom property.  If you put a config specific dimension into a custom property and try to pull it into a drawing it only loads the active config even if you specify a different config.  I think it should at least throw an error.  I'm not advocating for this to "work" because the performance hit could be HUGE if it did work.  But, it shouldn't display the value for the in memory config for a different specified config.

Example, if I specify "D1@Sketch1@@3@Part1.SLDPRT" and "D1@Sketch1@@1@Part1.SLDPRT" is displayed on a drawing, the value for 1 is shown in the text box.

Normally, I'd tag Jim Wilkinson on things like this.  Does anyone know who we should be tagging now that he's retired?  Those are some big shoes to fill, BTW.

Dan Pihlaja

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Yeah,

I just checked. It doesn't work even in a custom property. If you put a config specific dimension into a custom property and try to pull it into a drawing it only loads the active config even if you specify a different config. I think it should at least throw an error. I'm not advocating for this to "work" because the performance hit could be HUGE if it did work. But, it shouldn't display the value for the in memory config for a different specified config.

Example, if I specify "D1@Sketch1@@3@Part1.SLDPRT" and "D1@Sketch1@@1@Part1.SLDPRT" is displayed on a drawing, the value for 1 is shown in the text box.

Normally, I'd tag Jim Wilkinson on things like this. Does anyone know who we should be tagging now that he's retired? Those are some big shoes to fill, BTW.

Possibly John Sweeney, but I am not sure.

In the interim....I was talking to someone a bit ago about something similar....and they mentioned adding a Rebuild/Save Mark to the configurations and trying again.  The rebuild/save mark makes sure that other configuration data would remain in the model rather than having to be rebuilt on the fly.

Try that and see if ti changes anything.

Jim Wilkinson

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Yeah,

I just checked. It doesn't work even in a custom property. If you put a config specific dimension into a custom property and try to pull it into a drawing it only loads the active config even if you specify a different config. I think it should at least throw an error. I'm not advocating for this to "work" because the performance hit could be HUGE if it did work. But, it shouldn't display the value for the in memory config for a different specified config.

Normally, I'd tag Jim Wilkinson on things like this. Does anyone know who we should be tagging now that he's retired? Those are some big shoes to fill, BTW.

Possibly John Sweeney, but I am not sure.

In the interim....I was talking to someone a bit ago about something similar....and they mentioned adding a Rebuild/Save Mark to the configurations and trying again. The rebuild/save mark makes sure that other configuration data would remain in the model rather than having to be rebuilt on the fly.

Try that and see if ti changes anything.

Sorry guys, but I don't know much about this one. If it used to work but no longer does, it is definitely a bug and a regression at that, so be sure to get it reported for evaluation/fix.

Thanks,

Jim

Glenn Schroeder

If all else fails you can link that dimension to a configuration specific property and call that out.  If you create the property early in the process then it will be added automatically when new configurations are created.

Rob Monto

I contacted our Solidworks reseller and there is an SPR related to this issue - thanks for all of your help.

SPR 1039277 - Configuration specific property from assembly linked to reference dimension in part, does not evaluate correctly if used in a linked note in assembly drawing