4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 10:16 AM by PJ Pisczak

Simulate Press Fit

PJ Pisczak

I'm pressing a steel pin into a plastic part.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best Simulation setup?  The end of the pin needs to travel into a slightly smaller hole, about 1 inch in depth and then stop.  All help appreciated.  Tx!

PJ

• Re: Simulate Press Fit
          Ryan Dark

Hi PJ,

The study setup will depend on what sort of data you are looking to get out of the analysis.  For example, if you are looking for a force vs displacement graph showing how much force is required as the pin is pressed into the hole then you would probably use a nonlinear study with a time curve applied to a prescribed displacement pushing the pin into position.  If you are just after the stresses in the models once the pin is in its final location you might only need a linear static analysis with a shrink fit contact applied between the pin and the hole.  So, what do you want to be finding out here?

PJ Pisczak

Ryan,

Tx much for your response.  In fact I desire to do have both.  I am pressing a steel pin into a hex shaped hole in order to keep it centered.  Round is not really round and hence this seems to work out well on a different part in one of our other products.  This one is new and since the geometry around which the pin will sit is different, it seemed wise to try and predict what we could.

So to your point, I will do both.  I did (LOL) start the non-linear first.  And though I paired out as many fillet radius and remove the outer section of the, to a distance where what we are investigating will not have much of an effect, this non-linear took 1-1/2 hours to process on a fairly high horsepower computer.

I guess I'm just grateful that we now can do this.  Appreciate your thoughts.

PJ

James Riddell

As a first pass you might try making a small split surface on the face(s) where the pin would make contact and then put a displacement b/c normal to the surface by the difference.  (There are plenty of chord height calculators out there or you could do it by hand if you have Machinery's Handbook.)