2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 9:33 AM by Jim Wilkinson

task pane does not stay collapsed

Don Hill

New laptop with SW 2017 sp5.

Every single time I open SW, the task pane expands covering 1/3 of my screen. I then have to manually collapse it. Only to have it auto-expand next time open SW. And then it seems to expand not only every time I open a drawing, but every time I switch windows between drawings that are already opened!

I've pinned/unpinned, etc. SW helps states:

"If the Task Pane is unpinned, it collapses when you drag an item such as a document, a library feature, or an annotation into the graphics area, or when you open a new SolidWorks document."

Well, this is not always happening. I do not recall having this issue on my desktop. I cannot find any specific features on the options menu. I've come to simply turning the task pane off, then opening it only when I need a specific feature. Which, again, extra clicks that seem unnecessary. Any suggestions?

• Re: task pane does not stay collapsed
          Frederick Law

Happened to me before.

Eventually it stay close.

Not sure what I did to get it stay 'minimized'.

Reboot computer.  To make sure there is not a crashed copy of SWX running in background.  This will make SWX go crazy.

Open SWX.  Open a file, pin, unpin, collapse toolbox.  Close SWX.  See if it works.  Repeat for part, assembly and drawing files.

• Re: task pane does not stay collapsed
            Jim Wilkinson

Don Hill wrote:

New laptop with SW 2017 sp5.

Every single time I open SW, the task pane expands covering 1/3 of my screen. I then have to manually collapse it. Only to have it auto-expand next time open SW. And then it seems to expand not only every time I open a drawing, but every time I switch windows between drawings that are already opened!

I've pinned/unpinned, etc. SW helps states:

"If the Task Pane is unpinned, it collapses when you drag an item such as a document, a library feature, or an annotation into the graphics area, or when you open a new SolidWorks document."

Well, this is not always happening. I do not recall having this issue on my desktop. I cannot find any specific features on the options menu. I've come to simply turning the task pane off, then opening it only when I need a specific feature. Which, again, extra clicks that seem unnecessary. Any suggestions?

The task pane has always done this when you first open SOLIDWORKS . This is by design since many users like to start from options in the task pane and new users can more easily discover tutorials and other common first use options. But even if you don't use it as your first thing, you don't have to manually close it; just ignore it and go click anywhere else (on the first thing you would normally do in the session like open or new, or just click anywhere in "space" and it will close automatically as long as it is not pinned. And if you don't want it taking up 1/3rd of your screen, just drag it to be narrower. Of course if you don't use it at all, then just turn it off as you have done. It will automatically open at some other specific times like opening a new drawing and as long as it is unpinned, again, just ignore it and go about your business and it will close on the next click of anything else (again, as long as it isn't pinned).

I hope this helps,

Jim