13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 8:48 PM by Mark Landsaat

Best way to manage blends / fillets that fade out into surface?

Ryan Navarro

Greetings everyone! Let me preface this by saying I'm not sure the Industrial Design term for this type of blend, pictured below on a game controller. The detail of interest is the blend or fillet near the sculpted area that completely fades out into the rest of the shape. I see this frequently on ergonomic designs.

example.jpg

These have always been a challenge for for me. The best method I have so far is to plan my surface patch structure accordingly. This means splitting the other surface edge where I imagine the fillet fading out, and creating two separate surface patches from there.

From here there is no type of fillet option I can find that will accomplish this blend satisfactorily since they seem to love to degenerate as the two surfaces fade to the same curvature.

fillet-degenerate.PNG

I end up trimming back around the bend area and then using a boundary surface to accomplish the blend.

blend2.PNG

blend1.PNG

I'm generally happy with the result but it's laborious. I'm looking for a sanity check / second opinion from the gurus to see if there is a better way (maybe rethinking the patch structure?)

Attached a simplified example part (2018 format) as well as Parasolid in starting and finished state