9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 4:47 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Why hidden lines get visible while rotating a model?

Habib Ghalamkari

When I rotate a model or move it around the screen the lines behind the faces get visible.

But as soon as I stop rotating or moving the assembly, it's back to normal and what it should be.

A video is attached to show my problem.

With my several years experience here, I know I'll be asked to check Graphic Card's driver.

I normally keep everything up to date. But to be sure, I've downloaded the driver from Graphics Card Drivers | Hardware & System Requirements | SOLIDWORKS and installed it. But nothing is changed.

Here's a little bit about my environment.

Windows:        10 Enterprise

Solidworks:      2018 SP4

PC:                  Dell Precision T1700

Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro K600

Memory:          16GB

Monitor:           Triple Monitor

I have this problem with every assembly and No matter I rotate the model with mouse or Space Mouse Pro.

Any kind of advice would be great.

• Re: Why hidden lines get visible while rotating a model?
          Kelvin Lamport

I'm guessing it is related to performance. It may take more resources to hide the lines when rotating the model.

Do you have this option checked?

Also ...

Ian McLean

I think that is just an accuracy thing, it just happens when part that is hidden is small distance behind hiding face relative to the size of the assembly. We see this frequently with large sheetmetal enclosures with the edges of parts hard up against inside faces showing through when rotating

Habib Ghalamkari

Ian McLean wrote:

I think that is just an accuracy thing, it just happens when part that is hidden is small distance behind hiding face relative to the size of the assembly. We see this frequently with large sheetmetal enclosures with the edges of parts hard up against inside faces showing through when rotating

I'm exactly in the same boat. Working on sheet metal assemblies with 300+ components and as you explained the lines that get visible are from the parts that have been used as reinforcement and are welded to the inside faces.

Is there any thing that I can do to prevent this dirty-looking view?

thanks

Kelvin Lamport

Try create a tiny gap between the offending parts.

Tony Tieuli

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

Ian McLean wrote:

I'm exactly in the same boat. Working on sheet metal assemblies with 300+ components and as you explained the lines that get visible are from the parts that have been used as reinforcement and are welded to the inside faces.

Is there any thing that I can do to prevent this dirty-looking view?

thanks

Let me say first that I rarely have anything to do with creating assemblies. That being said, I'm curious. If the lines disappear when you stop rotating why does it matter. I'm not trying to be sarcastic I'm really curious as to what the problem is.

Habib Ghalamkari

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Let me say first that I rarely have anything to do with creating assemblies. That being said, I'm curious. If the lines disappear when you stop rotating why does it matter. I'm not trying to be sarcastic I'm really curious as to what the problem is.

Tony,

No I won't think you're sarcastic or anything in that line. I thank you for your time and trying to help.

Those lines doesn't cause any problem technically. It's only that I don't like the dirty look while moving or rotating them. I just thought there may be something, some options somewhere that I can change and improve the situation.

These assemblies normally contain 400+  components and 300+ mates. I mostly rotate them, adding parts, adding mates, editing them etc.

If there's nothing I can do, yes, they are harmless and I can go with it.
                          I just was thinking maybe there's something I can do to change the situation.

Once again thank you.

Jim Wilkinson

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

When I rotate a model or move it around the screen the lines behind the faces get visible.

But as soon as I stop rotating or moving the assembly, it's back to normal and what it should be.

A video is attached to show my problem.

With my several years experience here, I know I'll be asked to check Graphic Card's driver.

I normally keep everything up to date. But to be sure, I've downloaded the driver from Graphics Card Drivers | Hardware & System Requirements | SOLIDWORKS and installed it. But nothing is changed.

Here's a little bit about my environment.

Windows: 10 Enterprise

Solidworks: 2018 SP4

PC: Dell Precision T1700

Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro K600

Memory: 16GB

Monitor: Triple Monitor

I have this problem with every assembly and No matter I rotate the model with mouse or Space Mouse Pro.

Any kind of advice would be great.

My guess is that it takes muck longer to calculate the display with "Optimize for thin parts" turned on than off and therefore it is automatically turned off during dynamic rotation, otherwise the rotation would be extremely slow. It may be that graphics cards (or maybe certain levels of graphics cards) don't even support the functionality of that option during dynamic rotation. You'll notice the help topic mentions that a certain level of OpenGL support by the driver is needed to even use the option at all. It may be that some graphics cards with that level of OpenGL or above support it only in static mode and some in dynamic mode.

Perhaps Justin Kidder would be able to comment further on whether my assertions are correct.

Thanks,

Jim