10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 9:23 AM by Jay Seaglar

Simulation Shuts Down My Computer

Andrew Pirigyi

My computer completely shuts off when I try to run a simulation in SW 2018. SW 2016 will run the same simulation with no issues. Solidworks RX shows no issues. Any idea what could be causing this? I have contacted my re-seller 3 times and they could not figure out what was causing the issue. I am desperate for help! Thanks!

• Re: Simulation Shuts Down My Computer
          Ryan Dark

Hi Andrew,

Given what you have described the most likely scenario is that your machine is being taxed to the point of either overheating the CPU or the GPU and it is shutting down as a fail safe.  Since this is Simulation it is probably the CPU so, have you measured/logged the temperature of the CPU as you run studies on this machine?  You may want to check that as your next step.

Andrew Pirigyi

Thanks for the response Dan.We have monitored temperature, CPU, physical memory and there are no spikes or noticeable changes the instant before the computer shuts down. I can run the same simulation on 2016 on the same machine and the study runs without a flaw. Would a simulation with the same solver, DOF, loads, fixtures and contacts in 2016 tax the computer the same as it would in 2018? Also, I can get a study that shuts off my workstation computer to run no problem on my laptop which does not have near the capabilities of my workstation.

Ryan Dark

Andrew,

Since the study can solve on the laptop it does appear the software is capable of solving the problem.  If the issue is specific to the desktop environment then it is likely still an issue of overloading a piece of the hardware on that machine, however, are you running the same service pack of SOLIDWORKS 2016 on both the desktop and the laptop?

Jim Sculley

Andrew Pirigyi wrote:

Thanks for the response Dan.We have monitored temperature, CPU, physical memory and there are no spikes or noticeable changes the instant before the computer shuts down. I can run the same simulation on 2016 on the same machine and the study runs without a flaw. Would a simulation with the same solver, DOF, loads, fixtures and contacts in 2016 tax the computer the same as it would in 2018? Also, I can get a study that shuts off my workstation computer to run no problem on my laptop which does not have near the capabilities of my workstation.

Verify that you are using a certified video card and the proper driver version.  Does the machine shut down or does it reboot?  You may be having a driver fault and the Windows setting are to shutdown or reboot in such an event. 

Andrew Pirigyi

I have a Solidworks recommended video card an dmy machine well exceeds all of the hardware recommendations. Video card drivers are up to date and SolidworsRX says everything is good to go. It is just strange that I have never been able to use simulation in 2018. The computer shuts down then the black screen that says "Start Windows Normally, Safe mode etc" pops up.

Jim Sculley

Andrew Pirigyi wrote:

I have a Solidworks recommended video card an dmy machine well exceeds all of the hardware recommendations. Video card drivers are up to date and SolidworsRX says everything is good to go. It is just strange that I have never been able to use simulation in 2018. The computer shuts down then the black screen that says "Start Windows Normally, Safe mode etc" pops up.

'Up to date' drivers aren't necessarily the correct drivers.  You should make sure your driver version matches the version listed for your operating system and SW version.  Newer drivers aren't necessarily better drivers.

Change your Windows settings to not reboot automatically after crashing.  When the crash happens you should get a blue screen.  Take a picture of it and post it here.  You can turn off the reboot (assuming Windows 7) here:

James Riddell

Do you have a similar amount of free space on the hard drive(s) you are using?  Sometimes if your C: drive is close to full I've seen machines crash.

Jay Seaglar

A useful troubleshooting step to determine whether the issue is related to the CPU load your system experiences is this:

1. Prior to running your SOLIDWORKS Simulation study, access the detailed list of Process Names in Windows Task Manager ('Processes' tab in Win7, 'Details' tab in Win8/10).
                        2. Right-click on 'SLDWORKS.EXE' in the list and select 'Set affinity'.
                        3. In the 'Processor affinity' dialog, uncheck '<All Processors>' and select only 'CPU 0'.
                        4. Click on 'OK', then run your Simulation study.

If the issue does not occur after this, it is quite likely that SOLIDWORKS Simulation 2018 is simply making more intensive use of your CPU cores than the 2016 version did. And that consequently, something in your hardware environment causes an unexpected shutdown when software taxes CPU cores a certain way.

I have only heard of such behavior a handful of times over the past decade, and many of those cases turned out to be unique to custom-built systems. My best guess is that the system power supply could be responsible. Though temperature-related factors are absolutely plausible as well - a faulty or under-powered CPU fan, deterioration of thermal paste in the motherboard, etc.

These SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base solutions may also be helpful:

S-056044

S-050789

S-072121

S-072291