35 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2018 9:31 PM by Duncan Gillis

Pay to deactivate SW on broken pc?

Neil Larsen

Hi all,

Recently my faithful old workstation died and I find myself needing to arrange for SW to deactivate my license because I can't get the machine to boot. I just want to install SW on another pc so I can finish my project. I've been off subs for a long while and don't expect support from my previous VAR (not that I ever really used support then anyway) but when I contacted them about arranging this with SW head office they want to charge NZ$99 for this service. Is this regular DS business practice these days, or are they, as I consider, being unreasonable considering its probably only a few minutes work to send an email? Coming on top of the event this is more than a little annoying. Opinions? Help?

Thanks

Neil

• Re: Pay to deactivate SW on broken pc?
          Neil Larsen

Hmmm well no replies - guess users are mostly millennials these days -

Still, I have found a 5 year old thread about a similar situation. Seems like the extortion of payment for deactivation in the event of hardware failure is not a new insult and I'm not the only one who won't wear it on principle. Obviously there are good VAR's and those you just don't want to deal with... Will try a different tack first...

Paul Salvador

Hello Neil,.. there should be NO charge for the deactivation/reactivation.   Contact the VAR and they will send/provide you with a link or a form for the past pc (deactivate) and the new pc (activate).. .. they will send to SW Corp.. (1-2..3 days max?) .. and you should be back working.

Dennis Dohogne

Why is this thread marked as answered?

I go to open it and there is nothing here marked as correct, though Paul's response should be once Neil gets satisfaction from his VAR.

Neil Larsen

It is marked as answered because I found an answer to my own question in a previous thread where it was mentioned a VAR was requiring payment. It also seemed until just now that I was talking to myself and I thought I may as well close the issue. While Paul's answer ought to be correct it is the VAR who is the issue. Yes they sent me the form* but they also stated they require payment for forwarding it. Unless I go over the top of them there will be no satisfaction.... 'I cant get no s-a-t-I-s-f-a-c-t-I-o-n...'

*Correction: No actually they didn't send the form. They apparently are suggesting they will be agreed to be paid first and then they will send the form.

Dennis Dohogne

Neil Larsen wrote:

It is marked as answered because I found an answer to my own question in a previous thread where it was mentioned a VAR was requiring payment. It also seemed until just now that I was talking to myself and I thought I may as well close the issue. While Paul's answer ought to be correct it is the VAR who is the issue. Yes they sent me the form but they also stated they require payment for forwarding it. Unless I go over the top of them there will be no satisfaction.... 'I cant get no s-a-t-I-s-f-a-c-t-I-o-n...'

I'm going to tag Richard Doyle here since he is quite a user advocate.  Richard, if a person is off subscription they do not get direct technical support from the VAR, but this is a little different problem.  Neil has a legit license and just needs help moving it from a dead computer to a live one.  I would hope this is a simple thing to do and should not incur a fee.  Can you answer this or at least tag someone who can, please?

Neil Larsen

Well I see Richard is a no show. Not surprising since we have never got along....

Can anyone tell me who is the overall manager of VARS in the US so I can make a complaint about being asked to pay (which I consider unreasonable in the circumstance).

Perhaps I need to reach out to the DS/SW Asia Pacific HQ?

I am actually seriously considering finally abandoning SW after 15 years rather than give in to this but...

Thanks

Dennis Dohogne

Neil Larsen wrote:

Well I see Richard is a no show. Not surprising since we have never got along....

Can anyone tell me who is the overall manager of VARS in the US is so I can make a complaint about being asked to pay (which I consider unreasonable in the circumstance).

Perhaps I need to reach out to the DS/SW Asia Pacific HQ?

I am actually seriously considering finally abandoning SW after 15 years rather than give in to this but...

Thanks

Cut the guy some slack!  We aren't privy to his schedule.  If you are not happy with your VAR then I suggest you have real sit-down meeting with them.  It is a whole lot easier to get things done face-to-face than by e-mail/phone/text.

Neil Larsen

You don't know the history.. but here's the point. The VAR is in Australia. I am in NZ.

Really I don't have a VAR because I am not on subs. I did however do the right thing and seek to go through them. Obviously we have a difference of opinion and it isn't going to work out. I would rather bypass them - get an answer further up the food chain.

Paul Salvador

Neil,.. I'd suggest you call up a local NZ var and tell them you are looking at 2019 and upgrading with them exclusively,.. let them know what happened with your computer and the license deactivation problem and ask them for help with getting that up and running asap!.

Neil Larsen

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your replies. In the past NZers haven't had much choice about their VAR which has been a few regional offices of the same company headquartered in Australia. It is quite likely I will get a new CAD seat soon or at least that's something I have been contemplating, this time with a few other bits like CAM and FEA so your suggestion is a distinct possibility although I will be changing VAR if I can if I stay with SW. It's good to hear there is an alternative these days.I wonder not too loudly if I will be asked to pay for 'change VAR form' as well... I am just waiting to see what is going to happen to the global economy before committing. I had expected there to be correction before now but it does finally look like that's coming in the next 2 years. We will see who is going to survive in the CAD world - DS may be there, maybe not..

Bill Toft

I just wen to SolidWorks > Find a reseller and for New Zealand (I guessed at a PostCode) I see two listed (intercad & invenio). Maybe you could try the "other guy"?

Alex Taguchi

This should be straight forward. If you are having issues with deactivation's from your VAR you can go directly to DS customer center team:

1-781-810-5011

Contact Us | SOLIDWORKS

Paul Wyndham

You could also log into my.solidworks.com and try out the new Admin Portal.

It lets you assign serial numbers to users and then activate and deactivate them from machines.

I am not exactly sure how it works when you are off maintenance, but all the licenses we did not renew show up in the serial number list.

You might have to switch to online licensing. This might be helpful in the future if you need to switch to a different machine again.

Neville Williams

Neil Larsen wrote:

when I contacted them about arranging this with SW head office they want to charge NZ$99 for this service. Is this regular DS business practice these days,

Hi Neil,

Absolutley no way you should be paying money. Don't let them get away with it.

I had this exact same thing happen to me and although there was a bit of whining from InterCad NZ along lines of 'your are a bit of a bother". I never paid a cent. Just had to sign some kind of declaration.

Logan Pegler

Hi Neil,

The fee is imposed by the VAR itself not DS.

Your best bet is to either go direct to DS from the link Alex gave above, or whine enough as Neville mentioned that the VAR give in.

The other VAR won't have access to do anything with your license unless you change resellers, probably something they won't let you do given you are in the same country and not on subscription.

Neil Larsen

I don't think the VAR will give way, atm they seem to have ignored my email saying I didn't need to pay up... but I will send another email asking them to confirm their position so I don't misrepresent them to DS.

Because I am not on subs I would say I don't have any contractual relationship with a VAR. Perhaps there is a residual agreement with DS though because of the way the license is - that they are granting you the right to use it etc. I cannot find any condition in the license that covers my situation and tethers me to a VAR in perpetuity or imposes costs on me. What if the old VAR had gone bust for some reason? who picks up the responsibility?

If the old VAR were to be an obstacle in a past customer taking on another reseller I would call that interference in free trade or wilfully obstructing competition. If/when I come back to SW support it will be for a new seat. I am not going to backdate subs to 2009 with the old reseller! May be that's going to be another fight? It is my understanding that if I was in the US I would have a choice of VAR - no patch protection. Do you have to pay to change VAR in the US? Surely you are free to do business with who you please or to seek an alternative if their service is unsatisfactory?

Logan Pegler

From a systems points of view your license is allocated to one reseller in DS's system, other resellers can't see the serial in the system. If the old VAR goes bust, then the licenses get transferred in the system to the new VAR for that region. I couldn't tell you if there is a cost associated with changing VAR.

Neil Larsen

OK so I need to talk directly with DS. Thanks.

Dennis Dohogne

Neil, have you resolved your activation issue?

Neil Larsen

Thanks for asking. Sorry not to post back sooner - life got in the way and diverted my attention.

I recovered my most recent data and am ready to go with my other pc once I follow up the deactivation with DS themselves.

The previous VAR was more interested in helping themselves than anything - wont go further than that here..

Before I do ditch the old pc and its SW install I just want to be sure what the issue is.

I am 95% sure it is the motherboard but I'll check out everything with a view to salvaging any good bits.

I have some Linux tools ready on a USB stick as soon as I get some free time...

Hopefully I will have a SW install up and running again this next week.

Things like this can be very disruptive.

Will report in about deactivation when I get it done.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Great community here

Neil Larsen

Well good news! Surprisingly I have been able to repair the pc and I can now deactivate SW myself. Yay!

(Thank you not to the VAR who just guaranteed my new seat of SW will not be with them....)

Stripping everything down I found a dubious capacitor on the motherboard and replaced it with a genuine part I got online from Australia and that arrived in a few days. Fiddly soldering job...

Testing further I found the second core of the cpu was misbehaving and writing nonsense to the memory on occasion. Kind of strange in the second core IMO but I would say differential silicon aging or something.

This really wasn't obvious as it was POST beeping once as being ok.

Anyhow I replaced the cpu cheaply with one from an organ donor from Trademe. - our ebay

Finally I repaired the mbr which seemed to have got messed up in some crashes and reboots... and now its up and running fine. woah! Obviously this is an old machine though and is likely to be unreliable and so I will move SW to another pc.

Epilogue:

Fortunately I wasn't in the middle of something with commercial pressures when this whole thing went down and I been able to spend some time on it over a few weeks. It would have been really nice if I could have just arranged a deactivation however. I really really don't appreciate having been told to jump through pay-to-play hoops and having to justify myself to the nth degree just to get a deactivation of a genuine seat - including agreeing the ssd would never ever again be used for SW(?). This should be a simple matter. I spent 5x more unbillable time of theirs trying to get sense out of the VAR in email exchanges than if they had just gone ahead and done as I requested. Having told me they wouldn't help me they later had a rep contact me inviting me to the SW2019 launch - go figure the awareness there...

SW VARs can do themselves and their customers a big favour by just actually being helpful.

I marked an answer by Logan as being the most correct but there were others that offered similar suggestions.

Thanks all

Neil