34 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 11:15 AM by Edward Poole

Thank You All, See Ya Soon!

Jim Wilkinson

So, I know that many of you already know through Twitter, but some have likely not heard the news that I am retiring from SOLIDWORKS, tomorrow being my last day of work. It has been a tremendous ride starting as the first technical support engineer at a small, unknown startup company in January of 1996 and watching the SOLIDWORKS community grow to the size it is today. I am always amazed at what our customers can do with our products, but more importantly, how the people in our community support one another, not only on a professional, but a personal level as well. It has been my extreme pleasure and honor to work with the SOLIDWORKS community for the past 22 1/2 years. While I won't be using SOLIDWORKS professionally any longer, in retirement I will be using it for my own hobbies. I also have a sneaking suspicion that this will not be the last you will hear from me in the forums

In retirement, I’ll be moving on to other more personal pursuits including running, cycling, hiking, horticulture, culinary arts, home improvement projects, and some projects to keep my design/engineering interests piqued like rebuilding/customizing my 1974 Jeep CJ5 (which has been in pieces, untouched for 15 years) and building a home brewery in my garage. My wife has also been kind enough to let me spend the majority of my time engrossed in work for the past 25 years and it is now time for me to pamper her as she will be very busy for the next 4 years on a big research project at University of New Hampshire where she works. It's payback time!

I want to end by saying that the SOLIDWORKS community is still in great hands with a large group of people here at SOLIDWORKS dedicated to making sure we produce the best products for your needs and making sure we are listing and responding to your needs. It is, and always has been, the most dedicated, professional, and personal group of people I have ever known. With that in mind, Rick Becker and Dennis Dohogne will be happy to know that I have officially passed the ONE and TWO hat to John Sweeney to carry that torch. While I appreciate you giving me the hat at SWW2018, it's true purpose is to be a continuous reminder of the most important priorities for our customers so it is best left here at SOLIDWORKS when I depart. See User Advocacy Day 2018 for the official hand off.

It has been a pleasure and I'll see you here soon!

Jim (Wilkie) Wilkinson

• Re: Thank You All, See Ya Soon!
          Glenn Schroeder

Congratulations on your retirement, and it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.  Thank you for all the help you've been to us, and you'll be greatly missed.

Josh Brady

Jim, you've always been helpful and responsive, a real asset to both the community and SW Corp.  If your hiking or other activities ever bring you to the Smokies or other general area of Knoxville drop me a line.  I'll buy you a round, share a trail with you, maybe both.  :-)

Glenn Schroeder

Josh Brady wrote:

Jim, you've always been helpful and responsive, a real asset to both the community and SW Corp. If your hiking or other activities ever bring you to the Smokies or other general area of Knoxville drop me a line. I'll buy you a round, share a trail with you, maybe both. :-)

Jim,

That offer stands from me if you ever get to southeast Texas.....at least the part about buying a round.  There aren't any mountains here, so there's not much hiking, and I'm not much of a hiker anyway.

Dennis Dohogne

Jim,

I read the first sentence and my jaw literally dropped open.  It was such a pleasure to get to know you a little bit.  You are the epitome of what I looked for and hoped to find in the technical leadership at SWX.  John Sweaney and Bruce and Mark and Graham and all the others we met are all great guys too, but you really LISTENED to us even if we had things to say that weren't so cheerful.

I am in shock!  But I know the team there and I know they are just as passionate as you about SolidWorks and the customers and giving us what we want.

You have earned it and I can't begrudge your leaving, but I am still sad to hear this.  Let me know when you are in the St. Augustine, FL area and I'll show you around, including helping you find shark's teeth!

CONGRATULATIONS on a great legacy, my friend!

- - -Dennis

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Great man....supporting as this to your wife, is talking about you as a man....I hope both will be so happy in all your life's...Congratulations buddy

Dave Bear

Hi Jim

I'm very happy for you and for the joys that lay ahead for you in what you have outlined. As I am sure you know, you contributions within the forum in an official capacity have meant a lot in many ways and although I hope that John continues that presence you will still be missed in that way.

I wish you well in your endeavours and wish you the very best. Thank you for all of your help.

Dave.

Rick Becker

Jim, I know you are a Force at Dassault. I know your presence will be missed. I hope you will spend time with us here on the Forum and continue dispensing your wisdom, knowledge and experience.

Thank you for all that you have done. Congratulations! Family first. Enjoy your retirement, you earned it.

Chris Saller

Congrat's! I'm jealous!

Thank you for all you have done. Great accomplishment! Take care and good luck. Be safe!

Tony Tieuli

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

So, I know that many of you already know through Twitter, but some have likely not heard the news that I am retiring from SOLIDWORKS, tomorrow being my last day of work. It has been a tremendous ride starting as the first technical support engineer at a small, unknown startup company in January of 1996 and watching the SOLIDWORKS community grow to the size it is today. I am always amazed at what our customers can do with our products, but more importantly, how the people in our community support one another, not only on a professional, but a personal level as well. It has been my extreme pleasure and honor to work with the SOLIDWORKS community for the past 22 1/2 years. While I won't be using SOLIDWORKS professionally any longer, in retirement I will be using it for my own hobbies. I also have a sneaking suspicion that this will not be the last you will hear from me in the forums

In retirement, I’ll be moving on to other more personal pursuits including running, cycling, hiking, horticulture, culinary arts, home improvement projects, and some projects to keep my design/engineering interests piqued like rebuilding/customizing my 1974 Jeep CJ5 (which has been in pieces, untouched for 15 years) and building a home brewery in my garage. My wife has also been kind enough to let me spend the majority of my time engrossed in work for the past 25 years and it is now time for me to pamper her as she will be very busy for the next 4 years on a big research project at University of New Hampshire where she works. It's payback time!

I want to end by saying that the SOLIDWORKS community is still in great hands with a large group of people here at SOLIDWORKS dedicated to making sure we produce the best products for your needs and making sure we are listing and responding to your needs. It is, and always has been, the most dedicated, professional, and personal group of people I have ever known. With that in mind, Rick Becker and Dennis Dohogne will be happy to know that I have officially passed the ONE and TWO hat to John Sweeney to carry that torch. While I appreciate you giving me the hat at SWW2018, it's true purpose is to be a continuous reminder of the most important priorities for our customers so it is best left here at SOLIDWORKS when I depart. See User Advocacy Day 2018 for the official hand off.

It has been a pleasure and I'll see you here soon!

Jim (Wilkie) Wilkinson

Congratulations Jim!

I'll miss seeing your replies here in the forums. Especially the ones where you oh so delicately say "You're using it wrong Dummy." My words, not yours. You're much more diplomatic than that!

Enjoy your retirement. You've certainly earned it!

ömür tokman

I do not like the Farewell talk.

This is not a farewell anyway.

You retired from SW, not from the Forum. Remember!

I'm glad to meet you.

Danny Edwards

Congrats Jim! You are a big help and a great resource to all in the Solidworks community. You will be missed and I hope you get to finish your projects you mention. Specially the Jeep. Enjoy your retirement and God bless.

Steve Calvert

It's been a real pleasure Jim.  Your smiling face and willingness to always listen and help have sure been a joy.  Good luck

Steve C

Christian Chu

You sure will be missed, @jim

Alex Lachance

Hey Jim,

Altough we have never personally met, I concider you a friend. I hope you will still hang around the forums as you would be dearly missed if you did otherwise. I want to thank you for taking the time to hear what I had to say when I was having problems with SolidWorks and making sure that I was heard and that I was speaking to the right people. Ever since I spoke with you, I've had a much better line of communication with my VAR. You truely are a dedicated person. Hopefully you'll post pictures of your Jeep so we can see if you truely are working hard or are hardly working

All the best buddy, enjoy your retirement and take care of your wife.

Todd Blacksher

Even if you don't make it to SWW19, I can find a way to get a "key" to you - It's only fitting, since that is how we met.

BTW - Huge Thanks to Mark (Biasotti) for setting up that meeting!

(I just knew that I couldn't leave Florida until I had given you my last "key" that I made to commemorate Wayne.)

We'll see you on the forums, and hopefully someday I will get to ride the PanMass Challenge with you.

Thanks for everything Jim!

Jim Steinmeyer

Congratulations Jim. Your help here has been greatly appreciated.

Matt Lombard

Jim,

Sorry to see you go. You were one of my favorites! Best of luck.

John Matrishon

Jim, may the force be with you....and Bacon....don't forget us in all your hobbies!  We expect pictures!

JM

Dean Purvis

Congrats Jim.  I will miss you at the SWW conferences.  It has been a pleasure to talk and interact with you over the past 20 years.

Matt Peneguy

Congratulations Jim!

Just to show what a great guy he is, he's thanking us!  I think it's the other way around, Jim.  Thank you for all the help you've given us and for the job you've done.  You have earned a great retirement.  Now, go enjoy it!

I'm looking forward to seeing you back here soon.

Tony Cantrell

Congratulations on retirement, you will be missed by Solidworks I'm sure. try not to stay to busy in your off time.

Edward Poole

Jim Wilkinson you're too young to retire! I really enjoyed working with you on and off over the years, I'll miss seeing you at all those user group meetings and other functions   you've given your time to so many of us,  now it's time for you, and Mrs. Wilkinson of course, to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Get going on that CJ-5!

You'll be missed Wilkie. Take it slow.

Ed.

Michael Lord

Jim,

It was a pleasure to meet you over the past few years!

All the best in your "work retirement".  You are going to need it working on a 74' CJ5 Jeep , although I suspect that the "home brewery" may take priority

All the best

Kelvin Lamport

Congratulations Jim Wilkinson on your retirement. Sounds like your hobbies & interests will keep you very busy.

Dave Bear

Could it be that Jim's working on his home brewery to solve the "points for beer" conundrum?

What a Guy!

Dave.

Mark Biasotti

Best wishes in your retirement Jim,

It was a truly a pleasure working along side of you for 9 1/2 years - they were the best of times! I also remember the 5 or so years before I joined SW in how you were so attentive to the user community then.  Thanks for all your tremendous contributions!  I'm envious that you get to spend all your days doing what you have planned. 

Mark

Neil Larsen

Yup Mr Wilkinson is a fine fellow. I did give him a bit of a hard time on occasion for things that were or were not done in SW land. Hope he doesn't hold a grudge for that I do give him credit though for going out of his way to appear in the forums and interact with the user base to seek ways to improve SW. Thanks for your dedication to SW Jim and happy retirement.

regards

Neil

Deepak Gupta

Jim Thank You you for all the support to the SOLIDWORKS community over the years. Your knowledge and experience was always beyond par. It has been a pleasure to interact with you over the past few years. We all are going to miss you but in a hope that you still would be sharing your wisdom with the SOLIDWORKS community. Thanks once again for your hard work.

We hope to see you around so all the best until then!!

John Stoltzfus

Jim Wilkinson - Congratulations, it was a pleasure meeting you and talking to you on Monday evening..

I know you'll be back here on the forum and we will all welcome your responses...

Dan Pihlaja

Thank you Jim for the contributing to so many things here on the forums.   It was great to meet you in person, and will look forward to hearing from you more on the forums as you get your retirement mode settled in.

I still expect to see you at Iceman sometime!