3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2018 6:52 AM by James Riddell

How do you add multiple point loads in a beam element study?

Dallan Friel

I'm wondering how to add multiple point loads in a beam element study without receiving the "too short" length:cross-section ratio error.

I have an arrangement as seen in the figure below.

Is it possible?

Also, is it possible to replicate a beam theory study in 3D (Solid Elements)?

If so what parameters need to be applied? i.e How would you simulate a statically indeterminate beam/shaft with multiple lateral loads using solid elements?

The shaft has multiple sections with different diameters thus the need for short spans which produce the error. The reason for split sections is because I have 7 reactions and 6 forces. i.e I require nodes at those locations in the middle of the spans.

Thanks,

Dallan

• Re: How do you add multiple point loads in a beam element study?
          James Riddell

If you have beam elements that are too short it is inadvisable to do so.  If that is the case then a solid FEM with loads/restraints over certain areas should give you a sufficiently accurate answer.  You can always use split lines to create surfaces for the loads & fixtures.  Caution: don't over constrain the part.

• Re: How do you add multiple point loads in a beam element study?
              Dallan Friel

I know the internal strain energy due to shear can't be neglected when the slenderness ratio is low for the analysis to be accurate. I'm trying to use this as a comparison to an analysis that only considers the internal strain energy due to bending and not shear. The reason its not letting me is because in a real situation the internal strain energy due to shear cannot be neglected below a slenderness ratio of 10 (from what I've heard).

It's likely that the beam theory used in this FE software only considers the internal strain energy due to bending and therefore will not let me run the analysis with low slenderness ratios, even though the displacements due to pure bending is what I require at the moment. (I know in real life the result would be different from what the software would generate should it let me to carry out the analysis)

I may have to shift my focus to different software.

Dallan