9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 1:31 PM by Charles Culp

Sketch Dimensions and Configurations

Jay Andrews
      I'm a bit confused, I have never noticed this behavior before, and I wonder if it is a setting that changed or I just never noticed, and how to deal with it.

I have a part with two different configurations. I edited a dimension in a sketch, and it didn't show up in my drawing. So, turned out the dimension was only changed in one configuration. I don't remember this ever happening before. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere which changes a sketch or dimensions to configuration specific, or did I just never notice that this is how it always worked. I see that I can in the dimension -> configurations, I can say change this cfg or change all cfgs. I would much rather it defaulted to change all configs, is there a way to change to that?
        • Sketch Dimensions and Configurations
          Alan Stoldt
          Jay,

Yes, there is an option for this Config Only or All Configs.

I believe it is a drop down type button option in the Dim Box.
            Tony Cantrell
            Alan is righgt,
            This is what you are looking for:

Jay Andrews
                Yes, thanks. But my question is the default setting. Did I change it to default to modify only one configuration, or is that not possible and I never noticed before that it has always defaulted to only this configuration?
                    Charles Culp

Jay Andrews wrote:

Yes, thanks. But my question is the default setting. Did I change it to default to modify only one configuration, or is that not possible and I never noticed before that it has always defaulted to only this configuration?

I believe it defaults to "all configurations" until you change one dimension to "this config only". Then all further changes to any dimension are for "this config only". But ever since "configure dimension" was implemented (SW2008), I never use this feature with those settings in the dimension editor anymore, I only use configure dimension. It avoids all ambiguity.
                        Jay Andrews
                        Thanks Charles,

I see now that a new part I made is again defaulting to all configurations. So I guess somehow that other part got the setting changed to this cfg only. It just all surprised me because I had never noticed that before. A nice feature, but something dangerous to watch out for as well. I think you are correct to use the cfg dimension from now on.

Jay
                            Michael Duncan
                            Hi Jay
                            I had my fingers burned by this once or twice and I would swear that I had never changed from "all configurations".
                            I spoke to our VAR but they had not had any reports of this happening to other users, so it just a case of watching every time I have to change a dimension but if it does pop-up again they have asked me to send it in to them.
                            Michael
                                Todd Davis
                                I am having the issue in where I have a very detailed sketch that I am updating and I want all the dimensions to be applied to all sketches. There are other features that are configuration specific but not this sketch. For some reason a past user must of made a change to configuration specific, but I want them all the same.

Is there a way to make all dimensions of a sketch for all configurations?
                                The big issue is that I have used this base part to create 6 other parts using save as. I don't want to have to change every dimension individually to all configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Todd Davis
                        Charles Culp
                        Jay,

The new "Configure dimension" tool is a great way to control your dimensions between configurations. When you don't want to create a design table, just right click on the dimension (or feature, or in an assembly, the part), and select "configure dimension" This will bring up a simple table where you can verify and edit the settings/values for each configuration.
                          Charles Culp
                          When you edit the dimension, the same drop-down box that Alan and Tony mention will allow you to edit the dimension once, and have it apply to all configs. Just select "All Configurations" from the drop-down box.

In your case, you might consider actually creating a design table. It is a very reliable way to make sure all the data is set properly. After creating the design table, just double click on the sketch name in the feature manager tree. This will make all the sketch dimensions appear. Then double click on all the dimensions, to make them appear in the design table.