4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2018 1:05 PM by Kevin Hansen

cutting plane line through a feature

Kevin Hansen

I want to put a cutting plane line through a feature. This will be generic/template drawing, so when the feature moves, I want the cutting plane to move with the feature. When I start the section view, it asks me to click to place the cutting plane. If I click to anchor it to geometry, it only lets me select solid vertices. But I want the section to go through the middle of the feature, and not the edge. More importantly, there's another feature that comes and goes, and when it goes it wipes out the vertex that I had selected for my cutting plane.

It doesn't appear that I can put a section through reference geometry. Is that correct? Are there other ways to accomplish this?

• Re: cutting plane line through a feature
          Glenn Schroeder

Create the section view the old way.  Place a sketch line first, lock it down with relations, dimensions, or other lines as needed, then select this line and activate the section view command.  It will use this sketch line.  Hide any dimensions and move other sketch entities (if any) to a Layer that's turned off.

Kevin Hansen

Create the section view the old way.

This is the old way, huh? :-)

Place a sketch line first, lock it down with relations, dimensions, or other lines as needed

I created a sketch in my model. I went back to my drawing.

select this line and activate the section view command.  It will use this sketch line.

It does not. I can't even select the sketched line to place the cutting plane line. Actually, the sketch line lights up orange when I hover over it, but when I click, it doesn't actually use that line - when I zoom in, the point that was selected is not on it.

Oh, did you mean a sketched line in the drawing? That seems to work as directed... Wait, how can a sketched line in a drawing be fixed to the midpoint of an edge, when you can't do that in the model?!! OK, well this would solve my problem easily, except for that part about the other feature wiping out that midpoint relation when it is suppressed. How do you use global variables in drawing dimensions?

Glenn Schroeder

It turns out I can't add a coincident relation in a Drawing between a sketched line and the midpoint of a model edge.  I apologize for that.  I'm very surprised that I never noticed it before.  However, if you already have a sketch line in your model just make your line in the Drawing co-linear with it.  Or place a sketch point coincident with the midpoint of the edge (it should snap when placing it), then make the sketched line coincident with the sketch point.  Later move the sketch point into a layer that's turned off.