5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 2:55 AM by Heikki Jalonen

"OPEN NEW DOCUMENT" OPENS NOTHING

Heikki Jalonen

Hi all.  SW 2017, SP5.0, Windows 7

Problem: under running Solid Works session, "open new document" command turns inactive.  Occasionally and sporadically, after establishing about one to three new documents.  Ctrl+N or File Menu option "New"  or taskbar new icon, all totally dead, no response of any kind.  Regardless of what type of new doc (part, assy or dwg) was last created you still had luck enough.  SW must be shut down and restarted in order to have next one or two new documents created.

Most annoying.  Quite sure I'm not the only offer of this "feature"?

--Herby under the Palm Tree

• Re: "OPEN NEW DOCUMENT" OPENS NOTHING
          John Sweeney

Hi Heikki,

Are any of the other menus and toolbar buttons disabled?  Could you send a screen shot the next time you see the problem?

Its possible you are in a command or that a dialog is active but it is hidden behind another window or off screen.  This might happen if you occasionally use dual monitors or dock/undock a laptop and the dialog tries to show itself in the last location.  Often you can diagnose this by simply hitting the ESC key which should dismiss a dialog.  Do you notice this happens after running a particular command?

Best Regards,

John

Heikki Jalonen

Hello John.  Thanks for your attention to my problem.

About the circumstances: no dual monitor, just a laptop on its own.  Nor do I have the dock, PC is just always on the table and network permanently on hard wire.  Well aware about the docking mishaps.  I got other things for go jobs.  And I don't do SW on the move.

SW is a local PC installation, not networked or shared by any means, I'm a solo user.

Workstation hardware is (an oldish but still satisfactory) DELL Precision M4800; 8G RAM; Win 7 SP1, 64bit; 1T local disk; display driver NVIDIA 389.08;  100MB LAN; some 2T on the server.

The ESC key makes no difference whatsoever.  Yes, it has been hit a pretty lot, the button cap looks quite shiny...

No, I haven't noticed any association to any particular command.  This should be kept on the eye.

All other command bar buttons act as they should - that's what I consider strange.

One suspection I however do have: the display driver update - the most recent which I did about 2 months ago - but I'm not absolutely sure since I didn't notice the problem right past-the-fatal-update as it usually is but pretty much (weeks of constant usage) later.  I'll re-update soon to phase out this option.

BR,

-- Heikki aka Herby

John Sweeney

Hi Herby,

OK, that narrows it down a bit, but it is not any more clear to me what might be happening on your machine.  I think the next best step is to do the screen capture when you see it next.  I'd be interested to see your full application with all toolbars, etc captured.

Do you have any addins loaded?

Best Regards,

John

Heikki Jalonen

Hello John and thanks for your response.

About addins: occasionally been using the following ones: Simulation, Motion.  But while doing my daily work they are not loaded, just on demand.  Which is quite seldom.  Circuit, Photo; Routing, never.

Display driver: Nvidia says it's Quadro K2100M.  Missing from the list of available updates, of course.  I can't spare any more minutes on kidding with lists-of-all-possible-in-the-universe-but-not-the-one-you-need.  And absolutely no time for trial and error games.  Production is urging drawings, not unsuccesful software updates.

Right now, the original problem has been on the backround.  But, that's mainly because of a most crispy model (containing some shaggy third party imports), keeps crashing and due that, SW sessions are shortish.  Without THAT problem...

BR,

--Heikki Jalonen

Heikki Jalonen

Hi again.

Updated the display driver, now a couple of weeks of daily operation with no sign of this problem.

So, dispo might have been the root cause.

Thanks to all!  Perhaps this thread helps some other struggling with similar matter?

--Herby, still Under the Palm Tree...