1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 8:03 AM by Omar López

Transient Thermal Analysis Design Study

Sawyer Villa

Hello guys, I'll try to make this quick and painless.

Im using Simulation Pro.

I'm running a simple transient thermal analysis as a proof of concept.
      2 simple plates stacked directly on top of eachother, with heat power going into the top, a base plate temperature (300 K), and some air convection running over the topSee diagram below.

My end goal is to run a design study where I can use the copper plate thickness, t as my variable, and run multiple iterations of the thermal simulation.

THEN I need to plot these values on a simple XY graph, showing the different temperatures ( or even total thermal resistance ) at different thicknesses.

Is this possible? If not, is there any other way I can go about getting this final end product? (other than manually changing the thickness and creating a graph)

• Re: Transient Thermal Analysis Design Study
          Omar López

Hi Sawyer Villa,

I have taken a look at your case, and, before saying anything else, I have a question: is your goal to use that thickness as variable and then optimize your case (let's say, obtain the minimum temperature by varying the thickness, for example) or is it just an exploration case in which you want to know the temperature value associated to a list of thickness vales?

Solidworks own design study can do an exploration case and then plot the result if you indicate a range for the thickness and a step to be taken by the study. If your goal is to optimize on a continuous variable, then the study won't be able to plot your results.

I have run a very quick set up with your example both with the optimization setup and with the exploratory setup. I used transient state 120s with 10s increment (it has not reached the final state, but it is still valid for our example). Here are some pictures.

Model:

Study:

Design Study Monitoring only the results:

monitor_only.PNG

Plots of the results (I have not been able to plot the thickness against the temperature, it only allows you to use one axis, the other is mandatory for the "number of sets" run):

Design Study with the optimization:

design.PNG

When using optimization, Design Study does not allow to plot:

result_continuos.PNG

Without tooting my own horn too much, I actually work with with an add-in for SolidWorks that can do what you ask for. In case you need more in-depth results, here is a quick rundown of our add-in running an optimization (minimizing the temperature by varying the thickness)..

Feel free to contact me if you want to know more.

/Omar