1 2 3 First Previous 137 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 5:31 PM by Frederick Law

Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI

Frederick Law

I guess it's time to consolidate my whining so I don't poison the forum

Add your experience.

Teach me how to use SolidWorks.

Hopefully I'll learn something and help other learn something.

Also help SolidWorks to be more user friendly.

And get SolidWorks to work like Inventor.

• 1. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
          Rick Becker

Frederick Law wrote:

...And get SolidWorks to work like Inventor.

I've never used Inventor so I'm glad you crossed this out.

I would like Sketch Creation to work like KeyCreator.

I like this thread as a place to collect info. Having a concise list (without throwing stones) would probably go a long way towards getting better consistency.

I believe there is already a thread (I vaguely remember) very similar to this.

• 2. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
            Frederick Law

I saw the ESC not working one.

I'll strat collect examples.  So far I just work around them.

Generally I need to remember how to exit a command most efficiently.  Press ESC, Enter, bring confirmation corner to cursor, click somewhere on the screen etc.

There are check box that need 2 clicks to accept but if I moved the box, it need only one click.  Almost like the first one is to activate or get the box in focus.

Little things that's annoying but it adds up.

• 3. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
              Matt Peneguy

Let's try to keep this constructive and invite some of the SW people to join in.  The point was brought up about the line ends not being blue when using "Convert Entities".  There are no visible sketch relations on these ends, even though they exist until you drag them.  So, I'd like a SW rep to maybe set the record straight on that one. (I'm not in any way saying it should be changed. Because I'm pretty sure it is that way for drafting efficiency.) But, it is one of the elephants in the room on the other thread.

• 4. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                Jim Wilkinson

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Let's try to keep this constructive and invite some of the SW people to join in. The point was brought up about the line ends not being blue when using "Convert Entities". There are no visible sketch relations on these ends, even though they exist until you drag them. So, I'd like a SW rep to maybe set the record straight on that one. (I'm not in any way saying it should be changed. Because I'm pretty sure it is that way for drafting efficiency.) But, it is one of the elephants in the room on the other thread.

I'm not sure where the other thread is that the above quote is referring to, but yes, this is done for efficiency. When converting entities, internally, it keeps track of the endpoints so if those endpoints update, the length of the converted entity updates. Only if you drag the endpoints does it break that endpoint tracking. The alternative I guess would be to also put coincident relations on the endpoints and that would be extremely annoying in the cases where you DID want to drag the endpoints since you'd have to delete the coincident relation before dragging.

I hope this helps,

Jim

• 5. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                  Phu Pham Van

1. Put tabs on the bottom of SolidWorks to make switching between files easier. This is just like the tabs on your internet browser where you have multiple pages open and can switch between them easily.

2. Add " Chain dimesion " to the tool dimesion.

• 6. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                    Mark Biasotti

How about this one in Save Bodies:

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 6.50.23 PM.png

• 8. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                      John Stoltzfus

Jim Wilkinson  wrote:

I'm not sure where the other thread is that the above quote is referring to,

Maybe this one

ONE and TWO

• 9. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                        Phu Pham Van

I think Ctrl + Tab will take press keyboard Ctr + Tap. And with the habit of using tab of internet browser, I do not like Ctrl Tab

• 10. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                          Jim Wilkinson

Mark Biasotti wrote:

How about this one in Save Bodies:

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 6.50.23 PM.png

Hi Mark,

See the first note (the gray section with the lightbulb) in this help topic:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Split and Save Bodies

Those buttons relate to the callouts on the screen. The screen would get too cluttered with callouts for all the bodies on the screen at once, so only 10 are shown at a time. The callouts are often useful to work with rather than the scrolling list of all bodies because the callouts point to the actual body in the graphics area. Now, I would say the label there should say "Body callouts: 1-10" instead of just Bodies so it would be more obvious without looking at the help.

Thanks,
                          Jim

• 11. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                            John Lhuillier

I like the idea of tabs for the open files as well. NX12 just added this & is so much easier to jump to the right file open. Yes CTRL TAB works but normally it only switches between the current file & the last one you were on so still have to go to the top window menu & pick the file from there.

• 12. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                              Glenn Schroeder

John Lhuillier wrote:

I like the idea of tabs for the open files as well. NX12 just added this & is so much easier to jump to the right file open. Yes CTRL TAB works but normally it only switches between the current file & the last one you were on so still have to go to the top window menu & pick the file from there.

Nope.  Do the Ctrl+Tab, but then release the Tab key and keep Ctrl down.   You'll get a window showing all open SW documents, where you can choose which file to open.

• 13. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                                Jim Wilkinson

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

John Lhuillier wrote:

Nope. Do the Ctrl+Tab, but then release the Tab key and keep Ctrl down. You'll get a window showing all open SW documents, where you can choose which file to open.

Or, if you don't like that standard windows interaction of Ctrl+tab and letting go of tab you can also access it in one of the following ways:

• Go to the Windows menu and choose Browse Open Documents.
                                • Go to Tools, Customize, Keyboard and assign a keyboard shortcut to Browse Open Documents in the Windows category.

Both of the above will bring up the dialog and it will stay up until you pick a document to switch to or click off of the dialog (i.e. you don't have to hold a key to have it stay up).

I hope this helps,

Jim

• 14. Re: Consistently Inconsistent Solidworks UI
                                  Frederick Law

I added keyboard shortcut: T so I can use it on my mouse button.  Ctrl-Tab only get it to popup and dispear.

It is annoying with no tab to show how many windows was opened and the thumbnail doesn't work 100% "non-certified graphic card".

1 2 3 First Previous