6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2018 12:10 PM by Benjamin Modic

Drop Test causing SolidWorks to crash.

Colleen Ogilvie

I am doing a drop test study for an assembly containing several components of a wheelchair. I seem to be low on memory (My PC has 8 GB RAM and an i7 processor), as SW often crashes during either the meshing or when I run the study. I've tried using shell strategies, but it appears shell elements aren't supported in drop test. I've also followed an SW document on optimizing SW and Windows settings to increase performance. Could I have some advice as to what else I could do to help my drop test run?

• Re: Drop Test causing SolidWorks to crash.
          Ryan Dark

Hi Colleen,

8 GB may not be enough to run the type of study you are doing here.  What does your Windows Task Manager report for RAM usage when the program crashes?  Also, are we talking about the program closing itself and giving you an error citing a random close or is the program going non-response resulting in a need for you to kill it manually?

Colleen Ogilvie

Thanks for your response!

Often the program goes into non-response and I have to restart the computer. Other times, the errors I get is: "(FILE NAME): Failed" (Screenshot attached). I should mention this is happening when I'm running the analysis on only one part of the full assembly.

I don't actually know how check the Windows Task Manager report, but I will look into that.

Thank you!

Ben Langdon

right click start icon, task manager, Performance, ram

Ryan Dark

Colleen,

This sounds like the program is not responding.  A probably scenario is that the RAM has been exhausted when that is happening.  The study failing is likely a different issue entirely but you would want to take care the RAM issue first as it will slow you down considerably when trying to find why the study is failing.

To get into the Windows Task Manager press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and click the Task Manager option.  Once it comes up go to the 'Performance' tab and see what the usage history is for Memory/RAM.  If it is anywhere above 5.5GB you are probably maxing out your physical RAM and going into page file on your hard drive (which is not a great thing to have happen as it is magnitudes slower than RAM and seems like a program freeze).

Colleen Ogilvie

Thank you. It looks like that is an issue under Windows Task Manager. Do you have a recommendation for the minimum amount of RAM I should have on my system for SolidWorks Simulation dynamic and drop studies?

Benjamin Modic

Hey Colleen,

For more advanced simulations we typically recommend 32GB of RAM. Adding more RAM to your computer is not necessarily the only solution to running out of memory while solving a project. You should review your mesh and make sure you optimized it appropriately. Make sure you don't have too many elements in areas of the model that do not need to be finely meshed. Adding more RAM to your computer will allow you to run simulations with more cells but the solution times will increase.