12 13 14 15 16 267 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2019 8:24 AM by Frederick Law Go to original post Branched from an earlier discussion.
      • 195. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
        Shawn Stugard

Sounds like you don't do shop routings or a "shop traveler"? We had a similar situation where they kept asking for drawings with the job quantity shown. Eventually we got a proper ERP system in place and it generated shop routing sheets that showed the job qtys. They still complained about the drawing BOMs for a while, but at least we had something to point to and say "here it is", now go pound sand.

• 196. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
          Jim Steinmeyer

Bill,

In your case of "one offs" I can see your suggestion. In our situation we design a finished product and expect to sell 100 of them. Or we design an option and expect to place to on 6 different products. For our ERP system we need to be able to provied an accurate BOM for each option and assembly. And we need to be able to update it it when something changes. I would love to be able to use weldments but I am still struggling with how to make the &%&* cutliist fit into a BOM seamlessly without a bunch of error prone hand entry. Do you have a way to do that?

• 197. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
            Bill Lacey

We do not have an ERP system at the moment. Our entire company is pretty much run on Excel. They create cutlists by hand, which is really just a redundancy of the information we have in our SW BOM's, and adjust the quantity there and the programming is usually done per job lot, so that is always correct.

• 198. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
              Bill Lacey

I have a few ideas for you Jim. Can you PM me an example of what you want it to do and I'll see what I can help with?

• 199. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                Tom Gagnon

Bill Lacey wrote:

It also irritates me to have them request that the BOM's be updated to reflect the overall quantity of parts needed for a run of a fixture. My response has simply been "no" but they keep pushing. They don't seem to understand that the drawing is for ONE unit and that they can sell a different quantity each time it is ordered which would call for a new drawing with manually updated quantities.

I make one supporting document per project, called [Proj.No.]-superassembly.SLDASM which contains all assemblies fixed upon the origin (no, it's not for show). Then I create a BOM for it, and sort out the PartType custom property variables that I don't want, to achieve a piping BOM, conduit BOM, consumables BOM (fasteners, etc.) or whatever is called for. These BOMs are exported to excel and provided to Purchasing so they can acquire the components needed for the whole project, not each item or deliverable assembly. Contextual items or items provided by customer (i.e. interconnecting pipe, electrical stub-ups, foundation, etc.) are controlled as envelope status so that they are excluded from BOM and can be either shown or hidden in a drawing view with one setting.

If describing multiples of the same assembly as in a production run, a linear pattern can generate that quickly in the superassembly.

Would this achieve what you (or maybe they, rather) are after?

• 200. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                  Alex Lachance

Hey Tom,

Why do you need a seperate assembly? Why not use your top assembly to generate a detailed BOM? That's how we push all the info from our projects from SolidWorks straight into our E.R.P. You could use the detailed BOM to do your sorting out in Excel and skip a step perhaps.

• 201. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                    Tom Gagnon

In my work, unattached deliverables with their own locations and purposes are their own assemblies, system A, B, C, etc. I combine them only for full count. In your terms, my superassembly *IS* the top assembly. I'm not designing the entire energy plant; I'm designing multiple functional pieces of a larger whole.

I do not use ERP, and I have shoehorned SWx to provide easy data into horribly formatted Excel created by others without forethought or know-how long ago. Ergo, I can adapt to immovable hurdles with a little effort. I don't care so much for other departments' decisions or handling, but my job is efficient and accurate.

• 202. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                      John Stoltzfus

Bill Lacey  wrote:

We do not have an ERP system at the moment. Our entire company is pretty much run on Excel. They create cutlists by hand, which is really just a redundancy of the information we have in our SW BOM's, and adjust the quantity there and the programming is usually done per job lot, so that is always correct.

Here we use Global Shop for our work order/routers etc, however a lot of stuff is done using Excel.. A few months ago I found out they were revamping the Cutlist that they use here and so I asked a few questions.  Basically it's exactly like you said, redundancy.... So in the meantime I need to setup up a Cutlist scenario and what I would like to have ultimately is to have the global variable right in the Equations Manager, however SW Equations are not Excel and it is difficult for me to get from Point A to Point B.

See

Inserting Formulas/Equations in Custom Property Tab Builder - Custom Tab

I did get a bunch of good information from Rob Edwards - but the biggest issue is on my end, explaining the process correctly and have something that is easy to edit and change for formula nitwit like me.

• 203. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                        Timothy Taby

It's interesting to see where others are in the evaluation of manufacturing processes.  We used to have to do things by hand like your talking about, but once we got the ERP system in place it streamlines the entire process.  We create a BOM in the system for each part and when a sales order is created it tells purchasing what they need to buy and then work orders are generated for the shop floor to make the parts (each step is detailed for them).  So we no longer have to list manufacturing processes on our drawings or generate drawing BOM's that detail every part because the ERP system handles that.  As a company grows the process has to become more efficient to keep up with larger orders and tightened delivery times.

• 204. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                          Shawn Stugard

Yes, this has been my experience too. Properly implemented ERP is great(but poorly implemented, it just adds a lot of work for no gain). I also like the fact that you can add job notes for particular operations. For instance, a particular piece of material might have a grain direction that needs to be noted. This note can be added so it shows up on the routing for that particular piece (**CHECK GRAIN DIRECTION**). That way we don't need to muck up our prints in order to get information to the operator or assembler.

• 205. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                            Bill Lacey

Shawn Stugard wrote:

For instance, a particular piece of material might have a grain direction that needs to be noted.

Our part files have three properties included in the templates; Thickness, Width and Length. These properties are pull from the first boss/sketch since that defines the blank size needed to make the part. The BOM's pull those values in to give us the sizes of sheets/parts needed. We generally use the Length property as our grain direction, which can look odd since the longest dimension does not always equal the grain direction. That has worked well for us over the years.

When we used to use SigmaNEST we would tie one of the dimensions to a GRAIN property. This was used when the parts and assemblies were imported so SigmaNEST could determine if which direction the parts needed to be nested in. If that value was missing, it would rotate the piece for best possible yield rather than holding the grain direction.

• 206. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                              Jim Steinmeyer

Bill Lacey wrote:

I have a few ideas for you Jim. Can you PM me an example of what you want it to do and I'll see what I can help with?

when I get time. think I will need to drop box over a model.

• 207. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                                David Nelson

Every file I send out to venders I have to check each and every time before I make the DWG to send out.

Did not do it on just one Item and is cost us a bunch.

• 208. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                                  David Nelson

Peter De Vlieger wrote:

As my father in law taught me

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

Konstantin Josef Jireček

I have that Quote On a Jacket I had made in Okinawa. Top half is the Marine Corps Emblem with an Angry Eagle walking off.  Then tat Quote below.  I did not wear it much(was ordered not to) but it did get me promoted.  Went from Cpl to Sgt.  And was doing the Job of a Captain.

• 209. Re: HORROR Museum - Parts - Assemblies - Drawings - Show us the Worst Feature Tree
                                    David Matula

ok guys you have been talking about models that are all 8tfu. How many of you have drawing templates that are like that.  I am not sure where or how it happened but I got multiple various templates that keep popping back up since we try to reuse as much as possible.   Line weights get changed founts are wrong...even some of the custom property boxes are all goofed up that are supposed to bring in data automatically.

12 13 14 15 16