10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 2:36 PM by Roman Mettler

New SolidWorks Computer

Roman Mettler

Hello,

I am about to  build a new machine for SolidWorks 2018, already have to sets of parts, main difference here resides on cpu, ram and MB, i would like to have an opinion on which build i should go...

Build 1 (Share watch list SWStation #2 - digitec )

• 1 x Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 (LGA 2011-v3, 2.20GHz)
      • 4 x (64GB)Kingston 16GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC (1x, 16GB, DDR4-2400, DIMM 288)
      • NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
      • 1 x ASUS X99 Deluxe II (LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99, ATX)
      • 1 x Samsung 970 EVO (500GB, M.2 2280)
      • 1 x be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (16.28cm)
      • 1 x be quiet! Silent Base 800 Silver (Midi Tower)

Build 2 (Share watch list SWStation #3 - digitec)

• 1 x Intel Core i7-8700K (LGA 1151, 3.70GHz, Unlocked)
      • 4 x (64GB)Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MT/S (PC4-21300) (1x, 16GB, DDR4-2666)
      • NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
      • 1 x Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (LGA 1151, Intel Z370, ATX)
      • 1 x Samsung 970 EVO (500GB, M.2 2280)
      • 1 x be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (16.28cm)
      • 1 x be quiet! Silent Base 800 Silver (Midi Tower)

can also change some components, this lists are based on research...

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Bruno.

• Re: New SolidWorks Computer
          Al Griego

If you can, go with an LG 34CB88-P monitor or equivalent. It's amazing! I thought curved displays were just a gimmick until I got the opportunity to work with one. Huge screen, no glare spots, great resolution. I love it!

Frederick Law

I'll go with i7 for higher clock speed unless what you do is highly critical and ECC RAM is required.

PJ Pisczak

High marks for building your own system and probably the best way to get what you want.  I took a different approach.  I went to purchase a Dell business computer for home, because that is what we use at work.  The cost turned out to be about $4k.  Someone suggested I look at Alienware, which is also owned by Dell.  I purchased the approximately same system in Alienware and it cost $3k.  To add some luster, my wife works at a Company which is a member of www.PurchasingPower.com .  I was able to purchase over 12 months with no interest.  None-the-less, this system is built like a tank; gamers are demanding.  So I ended up with an awesome, well performing and robust system.  Though to be fair, someone suggested my videocard is designed for gaming and less for CAD.  Don't know the differences, but a consideration.

But back to your point, I was considering building a home computer, running on Linux, using multiple Pine64 boards ( www.pine64.com ) .  I've already purchased one of these to the tune of $36.  Now if I can only figure out how to put the rest of this together.

I would be interested in some rough pricing on your components.  Also as a way to encourage other users, such as myself, consider starting a spot in our Forum for builders.  Sounds like fun and possibly a decent way to save money.  Tx for the post!

PJ

Craig Schultz

Build 2.  With SW you want a higher clock speed for rebuild times.  Otherwise with the RAM and GFX card you will have no issues.

James Riddell

One thing that you seem to have left off the list is the hard drive - I'd make it at least 1T SSD and a second for back-up/data.

James Riddell

Oh, and if you are doing SW Simulation, I'd recommend turning hyperthreading off in the BIOS.  You won't really notice any difference in your interaction with the computer but it will run the s/w faster.

Also, if you have enough RAM, consider setting your swap space to zero so calculations are forced to run in memory and not read/write to the HD.

Victor Carosi

Second one. Higher clock speed RAM and a better CPU. Question - why do you have 2 graphics cards on there? You planning on using this as a personal gaming computer and a SolidWorks machine? If you're only using SW, you only need the P5000. If you're doing both, I would scrap the P5000 and get a higher end gaming GPU, a 1080ti or one of the new 2000 series GPUs from NVIDIA. The high end gaming card can do both SW and games, but the P5000 can't do games.