3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2018 5:23 PM by Richard Earley

Redshift 3D as a rendering option?

Scott Lange

Are there any future plans of Visualize Pro Bringing Redshift 3D as a rendering option?

• Re: Redshift 3D as a rendering option?
          Richard Earley

Not being part of the development team, I cannot answer your question however I am interested why you would want it to be introduced

To my knowledge Redshift 3D is a biased render engine (albeit a good one!) and would be susceptible to the usual pitfalls of a biased render - ie. adverse noise/artifacts and would not produce as photo-realistic result

iRay is unbiased so produces an image as realistic as possible, doing all the ray calculations rather than assuming the outcome.

I see some speed gains in using Redshift but would this be necessary considering the recently promised real-time ray tracing with the NVidia RTX graphics cards and the AI Denoiser already significantly speeding up render times?

Would be intrigued in your reasons Scott, happy to be converted as Redshift is still new to me

Scott Lange

Hi Richard, I really appreciate your response. Following is just my opinion and based on my own personal experience in generating imagery in many areas and for many industries. I am certainly not up on what is the latest and greatest, just offering what I know. Having worked extensively with Redshift for a few years now, I am often producing photo-real imagery for my clients and projects. The most powerful thing about Redshift is its speed which allows for quick feedback on tweaking lighting, shaders, and rendering. There is a tremendous amount of control over the look and feel within the shaders, too. The noise can be an issue at times but there are a million ways to address that. Yes, real-time rendering is getting there but from what I have read, for high-end production purposes (advertising and film), it's still not there yet, especially when you factor in production workflows and incorporating feedback, etc. As sexy as the idea of "real-time" is, it falls short, just ask a high-level compositor for film or commercials. From the reviews, I have read on the "AI" denoiser, it's still struggling on several fronts and falls short in comparison to some post denoising techniques and tools on some fronts. For gaming and low-end AR, it's great. Like I said... just my take and I am sure I have more to learn, as I always do. Again, thanks for your response. I am always open to seeing other points of view.

Richard Earley

Hey Scott, I think that it is great to have these kind of discussions! I might have to give Redshift 3D a test drive and see how it compares.

I agree with your statement about high-level compositors, I think that as the technology increases that users will still keep pushing the software to its limits with a constantly extending goalposts!

Regarding the Denoiser, I have had slightly strange results from it's default settings. I find myself increasing the pass limit which it activates. I would recommend giving this a go, there is a setting in the User.config file. Its hidden deep - %localappdata%\Dassault_Systèmes\SLDWORKSVisualize.exe_StrongName_m1hrhdwyiihwvztj1jjjmmmt1uiqebob\27.0.0.0\user.config. The setting is called "DenoiserPassCount". It is set as a default 10 but I have increased mine to 25 and it gives better results. I have raised an Enhancement Request to be able to change this in the UI rather than constantly altering a hidden text file