14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 2:25 PM by Jared Andrews

filled surface and mirror errors

Jared Andrews

Hello- I am working on a project and having some failures- this started as a 3d scan and working on modifications-

I have used some of the surfaces to make half of the model (as the scan was not symmetric) and attempted to mirror- I get the following error   one or more features in the mirror feature are no longer in the model  I have not run into this issue before - any thoughts?

I proceeded to split some surfaces and deleted some faces in attempt to "filled surface" and cannot a good result- maybe there is a better way?

you can see what i am trying to achieve

• Re: filled surface and mirror errors
          Glenn Schroeder

I'm not sure how you want to treat the hole that's off-center, but other than that, is this what you want?

Jared Andrews

Glen- this is good- I do need to make some further edits and design changes but i went in to give this a try because this will come in handy for many things I do but when i did a cut extrude on 2 different planes it failed to cut- can you let me know the details of the cut extrude? did you repair the import first?  Thanks for helping me!

Glenn Schroeder

Jared Andrews wrote:

can you let me know the details of the cut extrude? did you repair the import first? Thanks for helping me!

I'll be happy to explain.  I'd post the model, but you're using an older version and wouldn't be able to see what I did.  I started a new sketch on this face...

...and just placed a rectangle as shown below (it probably wasn't necessary to fully define the sketch, but I did from habit).

Then I used that sketch for an Extruded Cut, choosing "Through-All Both" for the direction.

Finally, I mirrored this body, using the cut face for the Mirror Face/Plane, and selecting "Bodies to Mirror" ("Features to Mirror" is selected by default when activating the command; neglecting to de-select it and choose "Bodies to Mirror" instead is a common mistake.  I suspect that's why you got the error when you tried to mirror).

Paul Salvador

Hello Jared,.. fyi,.. first thing to do, imho,.. is make sure the imported data is "Valid".. and unfortunately, the body has a General Fault... and it needs to be fixed.. (images attached...  that fault, "may" cause downstream issues)

BTW,... a quick fix... is export that imported body as a Parasolid... open the Parasolid, Fix/Repair export as Parasolid.. now, open your original file and Edit the Imported Body.. and replace it with the fixed/repaired Parasolid file.

faultx.pngfaultx2.png

S. Casale

Paul Salvador wrote:

export that imported body as a Parasolid... open the Parasolid, Fix/Repair export as Parasolid.. now, open your original file and Edit the Imported Body.. and replace it with the fixed/repaired Parasolid file.

faultx.pngfaultx2.png

Mind blown.

Jared Andrews

thanks Paul- this was definitely a rookie mistake on my part. I have healed the geometry and saved it as a x_t -  I 'edited' the file and believe I replaced it with the healed version- Still not able to mirror the solid I created (same error) as well as struggling with filled surface.

Glenn Schroeder

Jared Andrews wrote:

thanks Paul- this was definitely a rookie mistake on my part. I have healed the geometry and saved it as a x_t - I 'edited' the file and believe I replaced it with the healed version- Still not able to mirror the solid I created (same error) as well as struggling with filled surface.

Did you de-select "Features to Mirror", and choose "Bodies to Mirror" instead?

Jared Andrews

Glen, that was the issue-  I had tried that before but not this time. Thank you

Any thoughts on the surface fill or is that not really the right command to use for the situation?

Glenn Schroeder

Jared Andrews wrote:

Glen, that was the issue- I had tried that before but not this time. Thank you

Any thoughts on the surface fill or is that not really the right command to use for the situation?

I'm afraid not.  I rarely work with surfaces.  Paul Salvador should be able to answer.  He's the Surface Yoda.

And to answer the question in your other reply, sketching on a plane instead of the face should have worked fine.  If it didn't there was something else wrong.

Paul Salvador

Yoda?... ok.. well, the model seems to be off-kilter and I extracted/estimated what the outer maybe..

estouter.png

..oh btw,.. the above/repair..  it still had issues and crashed 2014/2017/2018.. so, the integrity of that brep is not good... so, I washed/rinsed/repeated doing a STEP export and it seems stable?

Jared Andrews

I agree- yes, master yoda for sure! Thanks for taking the time to do this-  that is close to what i am looking for, i can add fillets etc as needed-  i will probably need to modify this profile/ pocket

I worked on this some after seeing what Yoda did to see if i could get there- can you critique my attached method? i was able to get the surfaces to work out with a 'simple' sketch (without the radius just an angle) from here i can add a pocket and modify it and then export if needed?

regarding the integrity of the model if i can modify this and export to parasolid this would allow me to make some of the changes i need- i did not see any errors when i checked but I just check with this and maybe you have a better way?

Thanks for the education