7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2018 10:02 AM by David Matula

MBD - Testing - 30 Day Trial started today - MBD Tips Anybody??

John Stoltzfus

Today I recieved our 30 trial license code to try out the MBD.  It is simple enough, but it will take a little finessing on our end to get it off the ground.  I am hoping to be able to launch MBD by mid 2019, however a lot of stuff needs to be in place prior to that.

For people using MBD, do you have any tips/tricks.  From what I've seen in just a little bit of messing around is the difficulty to apply the dimensions.  That for me will be my biggest challenge, only because of our workflow and the need for training.  Surely the drawing time will be cut in half, if not more and the guys in the shop will be able to see what they are building and why the part is designed a certain way, which will give them a really good visual of the important design intent.  Furniture manufacturing is a lot different then General Fabrication or Machinery building, because of the expansion and contraction, based on excessive or lack of moisture, having a clear view of the assembly the guys can take the best approach when building the pc of furniture.

Who is using MBD?

What are the biggest Challenges?

Any Tips / Tricks?

• Re: MBD - Testing - 30 Day Trial started today - MBD Tips Anybody??
          Deepak Gupta

First of all I would suggest to utilize the training (free at the moment) on MySolidWorks.com as that would give you a very good idea on how to proceed further.

The biggest challenge is to convenience the people who are addicted to 2d drawings. You need to tell that with MBD their work would become easier and MBD would give them more power rather than taking anything away. Further start it with a small team (may be 1-2 persons) and make them advocate for MBD. I would also suggest to find one key person from various departments (like design, quality and manufacturing) and have open discussions with them talking about pros and cons. And once they start getting a better understanding of how MBD can help them improve, spread it to other levels within your organization and your vendors as well.

John Stoltzfus

Deepak Gupta - The MBD, like everything else has a learning curve and I need to recalibrate my thinking, that's for sure.  I'm used to Multiple Sheet Drawings with everything in one document, and I'm testing different approaches to see if I can copy that structure.  Oboe Wu has given me a crash course and gave me a lot of tips and showed me different options. I am far from being ready to run with it, but I am looking forward to implementing this system hopefully by mid 2019, this hinges on the Owner to commit to the system financially. 

One thing I noticed is you need to clean up and organize the Feature Tree, so the BOM's are sequential. 

I've tried to take the Main Assembly and add configurations so I can suppress the different subassemblies, this works great, it's just that I need to learn how to show which dimensions where, it's all about learning...

This is the way to go for our shop here, even though we just have simple components so to speak.  We already have Ipads through out the shop for our Time Clock punching and some of our Work Order Routers etc, so now all we need to do is to have our IT set up the Ipads to view the 3D pdf or eDrawings and they will be able to zoom in/out for all the detail that they need.  I didn't mess with the Notes yet, but that end looks pretty good, from what I've seen.  It's just thinking different, and making it work... 

John Stoltzfus

Yesterday we did a test on one of the Ipad's in the shop, took a little time to load, but it works, MBD has made it thus far.....  The next step for me is to create/update templates to capture all of our BOM's and Custom Properties, then setup a small project for "Show & Tell"..

John Stoltzfus

Interesting day yesterday with Mike Sabocheck reviewing our system and workflow..

Using Assemblies with MBD you do have the option of attaching files, so the last thing that we talked about was to use the MBD to view the assembly files, with the 2D PDF drawing files attached, that way the shop could see where each part goes, plus have all our, 2D drawings, cover sheet information, such as ECN, ECR, Program List BOM, Cut List BOM and all the Custom Properties that are required for that particular project. 

So at the moment - more testing

David Matula

keep up the good work their John, one of these days I may get to work with that and will look back here to see what you did to get it going.