15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2018 12:02 PM by Bob Tosi

Broken out section

Bob Tosi

SW 2018. In a drawing, is there a way to exclude bodies in a broken out section view. I know you can exclude components, but have not found a way to exclude bodies.

Thanks

• Re: Broken out section
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't believe I've ever used a broken out section view, but in standard views you can expand the tree, right-click on the feature that created a body, and choose "Hide" from the drop-down.  Have you tried that?

Kieran Young

If you right click on the view and go to properties, I believe there should be a tab "hide/show bodies"

Can't remember if this option is available for broken out sections but I believe it is.

Benjamin Modic

Hey Bob,

With a multi-body part drawing, you can right click on any of the bodies in the Broken-out Section and then select Show/Hide -> Hide Body. When using the Broken-out Section in an assembly, there is an option to exclude fasteners in the property manager.

~Ben

Bob Tosi

Yes, this is a multibody part. What I am trying to do is copy an old pencil drawing. Our company wants to keep any old pencil drawings that are redrawn to look just like the original.

This is the view I am trying to duplicate. what you can not see is farther to the right is another body going vertical.

Capture.JPG

Jason Young

Create Configurations with bodies suppressed/hidden??

Bob Tosi

I did a work around on the drawing. Still, this seems like a simple thing the program should be able to do. Oh wait, it is SW should I expect anything different.

Bob Tosi

Hi Jason, you are correct, SW will do most things, some better than others. but this is a simple thing that it should do with out a work around. To create the multi body part, then break those parts out into separate parts, then create an assembly just to make a simple view on a drawing is more than just a work around it is a waste of time. This part has three separate bodies, that would mean to do the drawing break out view it would take the original three body part model, three individual part models, the assembly model. I understand that this solution would work and is one of the only ways to do this, but you have to agree that this is not the most efficient way to do a simple task like this.

Jason Young

In the real world you would not manufacture multi bodied parts, you would have to create an assembly of several separate parts.

.As Benjamin Modic suggested earlier,

you could also use the hide body option from the drawing view dialog box??

Bob Tosi

Jason, not sure what real world you are talking about. In my real world not everything is an assembly, in weldments multi-body parts are used all the time. Also I am not trying to hide a body, I am trying to exclude it from the break out section.

Sergio Monti

Hi Bob,

I agree with you. In my opinion all weldments should be one multi-body part, and not assembly because can not be disassembled once built!

In the 'Broken-out Section'

as far as I know, you can hide bodies

but you can not exclude bodies from section, meaning you can not have bodies shown as not sectioned.

BTW in the pencil drawing you showed, it's not clear where the broken-out section is.

If you want to show only portions of section, or projection, you can also use 'Crop View'.

Bob Tosi

Sergio, that is what I am finding, only hide not exclude. If I was drawing this from the start this problem would not have even come up. But the company I contract with has a requirement that if a redraw of a pencil drawing is done on cad, all the views "must" look like the original pencil drawing. They pay my salary so I can not question their motives.