4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 6:44 PM by Chris HB

convert multiple closed sketches to sheet metal

Chris HB

Hello,

I'm a sheet metal newbie and I'm trying to design a leaf style landing gear. I've created multiple coincident closed surfaces that I would like to "extrude" to 0.125in thickness. I know that I could have created a base flange and then made flanges coming out of that but it is inconvenient from a design standpoint. So is my workflow totally wrong? The problem some of my flanges are not rectangular and making a rectangular flange and an extruded cut seems a rather bad way of doing it, especially if I want to make changes. Thanks for your advice!

• Re: convert multiple closed sketches to sheet metal
          Dennis Bacon

I don't know what to tell you Chris... But yes, your workflow is totally wrong..  I suggest you take a look at the tutorials.. Sorry about not giving you more information about that but I'm in a certain mood at the moment  and you are using a student version. Please forgive me.. This is what I had to do to make your workflow work.

Chris HB

Hello Dennis,

With all due respect, I don't see what the objection to using a student version is. I'm a student right now and of course when I'm on an internship I just use the company's licence.

I did notice with a little searching that there are some sheet metal tutorials. Didn't realize these were available (I've done most of the other tutorials) and I will do all the tutorials related to sheet metal and hopefully it will guide me. I thought of another technique that would be to create a flange from a front view 2d sketch and do a midpoint extrusion. I could then unbend it and perhaps make by cuts with more ease to obtain the triangular. Or I could extrude each plane slightly and convert to sheet metal.

Anyway, your comment would have been more helpful had you given me insight on how you obtained your end result but thanks anyway for pointing me to the sheet metal tutorial which I found by digging through some menus.

Jeremy Feist

it has been quite a while since I looked at the sheetmetal tutorials, but one of the things a lot of users overlook is that edgeflanges do NOT need to be rectangular, the button to look for is "edit flange profile"

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Chris HB

Thanks, Jeremy. I'll add this to my bag of tricks once I get done the tutorial! I've seen a few people that draw a single line (like the base of a wall) and then "extrude" a flange following that line. This seems practical for arced flanges or flanges with unusual contours. Here my flange geometry is not critical, it is meant to support wheels and provide a simple attachment plate for an RC aircraft.

That is why I started with a "front view" of the leaf spring. Depending on a bunch of factors, I might have to make adjustments to height or wheel track so I like the bend angles to simply be a product of other constraints rather than specifying specific angles as I go along which would be incredibly tedious for minor adjustments to "ride height".