14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2019 3:45 PM by Matthew Brahm

How hard can it be to create an uninstaller?

Matthew Brahm

I am curious why, when you remove Solidworks from app and features, it still leaves a bunch of orphaned crap laying around on the computer (even when I select every check box to remove everything).  Then, you go online and there are solidworks clean uninstall scripts.  The official answer on the Solidworks forum is "Google clean uninstall scripts and use those."  First off, this is a pretty lazy and sad answer.  You are telling people to reach out and just download whatever script they find, in stead of designing one and testing one yourself, which actually works.  Why can't Dassault simply make their uninstall actually remove everything?

Also, is your code EVER going to get recompiled so that it can be supported by SCCM?  It's nice that you made this cutesy automatic deployment Wizard, it would have been really cool 15 years ago, but for such a big company and a leader in CAD design, you would think that it would make sense to recompile the code and make your program more manageable from centralized management solutions.  AutoCAD can, maybe I just need to start pushing my engineers in that direction...

• Re: How hard can it be to create an uninstaller?
          Dan Pihlaja

I agree.....having a "clean uninstall" would make life a little better.  I wondered the same thing.  Good question.....

I searched for an SPR and I found these three items.  Also, I shot an email to my VAR to ask the same question.

S-046137, S-051631, and SPR 703419

David Matula

I am not sure I want them to look for everything and uninstall each component.  I tend to make custom hole wizard templates, or my tool box customized stuff.  Not sure that this is what your talking about, but 100% removal means removing all that to me also.  From my short cuts to the templates that have been created...that all takes lots of time and stuff I do not want to loose

Matthew Brahm

No, I don't have a disconnect between my VAR and I don't need training.  I am an IT professional and my job is to automate installs of software so that we don't have to have a technician run around and touch everybody's machines for installs.  Typically, it's easier to test on VM's and revert, but at the new company I am at, we do not have test VM's set up yet.  This means that while testing network admin image installations, if it fails, I have to go through this ridiculous process to make sure I rip everything out.

Then I don't get why they went and made this admin image editor thing in stead of just integrating it into programs that already automate software installation.

Jeff Niederman

Hi Matthew,

You can use SCCM to deploy SOLIDWORKS.  We can't officially support it because the tool itself is so complex, but we have customers who deploy with SCCM today.  Your VAR can at least support you through the parts of the process we own: creating the Admin Image, Customizing it with the Option Editor, running the install scripts manually.  Defining your install base and pushing of the installs through SCCM would fall back to you.

The general approach is to use our Installation Manager to create the Administrative Image.

Use the Admin Image Option Editor to customize it, for example, to add serial numbers and install path, etc.

This folder becomes your package to deploy.

There is a startswinstall.exe in there which you can schedule via SCCM.

The SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager may install as many as 10 or more programs, depending on the selections and state of the target computer.  startswinstall.exe wraps all those up, so you don't need to script the components separately.

Our homegrown push and pull methods are well-suited for small companies who may not have access to SCCM or in-house IT professionals.   In your case, SCCM is a logical choice and worth pursuing further.

Matthew Brahm

You know, I was just thinking about this earlier today at lunch.  It does make an install.hta and .exe file, so those could probably be deployed VIA SCCM.  Does it create separate .exe's for each deployment group that you create?  That would be my next issue, because we have 4 different deployment groups, so I would need to only install the proper components for each group (or does it just determine that based on computer name / ip address?). 

Jeff Niederman

If you can use ip address, then that would be the easiest way to go. 

You can create one admin image with all the products you might install even if all products don't go to all your deployment groups. 

Then, in the Option Editor, you can define a subset of those products to install by IP range.  Click "New Machine" and choose by IP Address Range.  Repeat for each range and modify the values for each as needed.

This will generate an admindirector.xml and a users.xml file  - configuration files really.

startswinstall will read these files and install the defined product based on the ip address.  Anything outside of the defined ranges will get the Global settings.

You can also do it by machine name, but the Option Editor begins to bog down if the number of machines gets too high. 

I've also seen other users create different copies of admindirector.xml files and run sldim.exe instead of startswinstall.exe while passing in the other admindirector.xml files.  Then, each deployment group would just have a different script.  If you edit the hta file, you can see how that file is passed in.

Matthew Brahm

Oh man, don't talk to me about the admin image editor, that thing is so trash.  Never gives me any installation confirmation.  I'm lucky I am only installing for 9 users, because I basically had to go babysit the installs anyways.  I would literally just have everything sitting at "install scheduled," even after the install finished.  Then, if I didn't remove the device from the automatic deployment, it would continue to attempt to reinstall solidworks over and over and over and over and over indefinately until I remove them.

Can you send me the link to Solidworks documentation on pushing with SCCM?  I am going to have to use SCCM next year, even with only 9 users, the way it went just using the admin image editor was absolutely unacceptable.

Matthew Brahm

This should actually be marked as the correct answer, moderator.  Can you please adjust that for me?