1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2018 12:07 PM by Ulf Stockburger

PDM/SolidWorks API to Generate Group-Based Serial Number At Save As Dialog

Sean Donnelly

Hello,

I have multiple serial number generators in PDM. I want a way do either of these two actions:

1. Choose between multiple serial numbers in the filename of the save as dialog box of SolidWorks

2. Automatically populate the serial number in the filename of the save as dialog box of SolidWorks based on the PDM group.

• Re: PDM/SolidWorks API to Generate Group-Based Serial Number At Save As Dialog
          Ulf Stockburger

Hi Sean

To do this, you will need a programme that will hook into the Save As Dialog of Solidworks and manipulate the behaviour. This is not a problem, but not as easy as it sounds. If the programme is for internal use, maybe AutoHotkey could be interesting. This scripting language allows you to do the hook easily. Unfortunately, there are interfaces in the EPDM API that cannot be accessed via scripts. So you need some more code in .NET. The combination of both makes it possible to do this task with a minimum of code.

I do not want to provide an out of the box solution, but I want to show what is possible with this scripting language. Maybe these possibilities will give some new ideas.

BiI SAP-PDM