4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 4:32 PM by Michael Bayley

Running SolidWorks PDM Task Host without being logged into windows?

Michael Bayley

I would like to set up our PDM task host so it doesn't require a user to be logged into windows. Is it possible to log into the vault to initiate the task host when the computer starts up? We'll be mainly using it for file conversions.

• Re: Running SolidWorks PDM Task Host without being logged into windows?
          Nadia Shea

This is not possible with out of the box PDM functionality. The task host computer must be logged in before PDM tasks can kick off. There is no mechanism within PDM to force a Windows Start or Windows Login.

I have seen where a company 'scheduled' the task host machine to wake up and log in. PDM client on task host was also configured to auto log in upon start up. The task host would process all the pending PDM tasks and naturally go to sleep after it was done and idle for a while.

• Re: Running SolidWorks PDM Task Host without being logged into windows?
            Ville Makinen

We use a dedicated machine setup as PDM Task host. It was pretty straight forward to setup and has worked very well. The machine is old workstation which was replaced with a newer one.

The computer is connected  only to network and power, it is accessed via remote desktop when needed.

1. Windows is set to auto login as assigned user account, easy to do this with Autologon miniapp from microsoft
            2. PDM is set to use auto login with this computer, found inside PDM admin tool & settings
            3. Shortcut to PDM is placed inside windows startup folder at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Any time the computer reboots for any reason it will automatically log in, log to vault & open the vault view. We like to keep the machine always on, but I think it would be possible to schedule shut down & boot on times if needed.

Just remember to store the computer somewhere secure, since it is essentially free entry to your network & PDM system if someone hooks it to a monitor & keyboard.