3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2019 1:50 PM by Jeremy Beneke

DraftSight 2017 and 2018 SP2 Crash on Start!!!

Ryan Houtz

I have a user that was using DraftSight 2017 and all of a sudden it started crashing when he tried to open it. I logged in on the local administrator account and it opened fine. I figured upgrading to 2018 SP2 might fix the problem but it didn't. So I uninstalled 2018 and deleted all the DraftSight files for the user under AppData and under Program Files. I then reinstalled 2018 but I still have the same problem. The crash report doesn't tell me much and requests it be mailed to support but I'm guessing that's just for their records and I won't hear back if I do send it.

Anyone seen anything like this and know a fix?

• Re: DraftSight 2017 and 2018 SP2 Crash on Start!!!
          Albie Waterton

Ryan,

From what you have said, the only difference between the accounts is admin privileges? Can you try giving your user admin controls so that they can try running it from within their own account? Having checked some of the info that is given when you download they always recommend running the programme in full admin if possible.

Albie

• Re: DraftSight 2017 and 2018 SP2 Crash on Start!!!
            Jeremy Beneke

I'm currently using DraftSight 2017 SP1 x64 and it recently stopped working. Any time I try to open the program it begins to load and then crashes without any indication of the cause. I found 2 application errors in the Event Viewer as follows:

Faulting application name: DraftSight.exe, version: 17.1.0.12557, time stamp: 0x58ac068d

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.134, time stamp: 0x1659a33b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin\DraftSight.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Faulting application name: DraftSight.exe, version: 17.1.0.12557, time stamp: 0x58ac068d

Faulting module name: MSVCR110.dll, version: 11.0.51106.1, time stamp: 0x5098826e

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin\DraftSight.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR110.dll

This lead me to research the dll issues and noticed a "major" windows update finally went through Dec 28, 2018 which updated several MS Visual C++ libraries (the update was intended 6 months ago but had failed at that time and I didn't catch the failed update until late December.) Anyway, when I finally addressed the MS update issue, DraftSight failed to open properly. It would appear this problem isn't necessarily specific to DraftSight as I found similar problems in other forums (Adobe and AutoDesk products).

My current plan is to completely reinstall all of the C++ libraries and see how it plays out for me... I'll update when it's done.

UPDATE: SOLVED

I tried a couple different things but this finally worked for me.

1. Completed a clean boot ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows )

2. Removed all existing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages.

3. Uninstalled DraftSight 2017.

4. Reboot (with clean boot settings)

5. Install a package of all key Microsoft Visual C++ packages via MultiPack Visual C++ Installer by BobSpwg found here ( Download MultiPack Visual C++ Installer  - MajorGeeks ) I would imagine you could download all of them individually from MS but I opted to take the shortcut

6. Reboot

7. Using MSConfig, I returned to Normal startup. I left programs managed through the Task Manager startup disabled for now.

8. Reboot

9. Install DraftSight 2018 SP3 x64.

10. Enable select programs through the Task Manager startup tab

Everything seems to be working at the moment. Good luck!