6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2019 9:10 AM by David Matula

Welding Standard?

Dan Golthing

Other than D1.1, what welding standards do you use.

We are looking for a production quality standard for consumer goods in steel and aluminum. 

D1.1 is a bit stringent for our needs. 

What do y'all do?

• Re: Welding Standard?
          James Riddell

AWS standards are THE standard for welding, I mean, growing up on a farm we just welded things together but they were sometimes over-kill and other times didn't hold at all.  What are you building that doesn't need to hold up?  Even Steelcase uses D1.1 (among others).

James Riddell

Reminds me of the story about the welder applying for a job that advertised at a rate of $18 - $24 per hour.  Asked to demonstrate his welding skill he turned in two samples.  One had weld splatter all over, gaps, and looked sloppy as heck.  The other was perfect and uniform.  The supervisor asked him why the two welds were so different and he replied, the sloppy one is $18/hr and the perfect one is $24/hr.

Seriously, a basic r.o.t. is the weld size should usually be no wider than the minimum thickness material (prevents burn-through) and should be uniform with no voids, etc.  Use Blodgett's for guidance (but not the 'free' PDF on the web - it has mis-prints).

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

AWS

ASME

SAE

I think you must to get a clear idea from which is the requirement of your client.

John Stoltzfus

Dan Golthing - I would also agree with Ruben's comment, however if you're welding multiple steels together like Stainless to Carbon, there are certain processes that you need to pull from one standard and add it to the other to make it complete.  Even if your company wants to sell the "Welding Standards" so to speak, it still takes good certified welders to make those Welding Standards a reality..

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama wrote:

AWS

ASME

SAE

I think you must to get a clear idea from which is the requirement of your client.

David Matula

WELD PROCEDURES.   They depend a lot on the equipment that you are going to be using to make the welds.  They are usually put together by an experienced engineer, or quality guy that knows something about that kind of stuff.  Then they are tested to make sure that they preform.  You write out how you want the weld to happen with stingers to the equipment and types of welding wire rods and flux that you are using.  Then I think they get sent to a stress lab to get tested to see how strong they are.  When you get the results back you approve that procedure or make adjustments to improve the quality of the weld.