13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 1:20 PM by Jake Bakerin

Trigger a macro when a custom property changed

Jake Bakerin

Is there API function call to trigger a macro each time a certain custom property changed?

• Re: Trigger a macro when a custom property changed
          Marcos Rodríguez

How is that custom property going to be changed?

In visual basic that's call 'Events', like moving the mouse or click in some button,

e.x.

2017 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Fire Events for External Output Time Step Changes Example (VBA)

Alex Burnett

The issue with something like this is that you will need to launch a macro immediately after you start each SW session so that it will know to look for the event you're interested in to be fired. It will essentially be running in the background during your whole session.

I've attached a basic example that will launch a message box whenever the user opens a new file.

Jake Bakerin

Thank you all. Will give it a try

Josh Brady

Not sure how familiar you are with programming events...  One thing that may trip you up a bit is that the event for custom property add or change is a document-level event.  That means that you may need to keep track of LOTS of documents, depending on how you want your macro to work.  Unless I'm missing something (which is, of course, possible) you will need to have a sldworks.sldworks object that's declared WithEvents so that you can get notified every time a document is opened or made active.  Then, here's the tricky part.  A document will only send you an event if you have an object for it.  Custom properties can be changed at any time.

So, for example, if you open an assembly, the active document is the assembly.  However, you can select a component and open the custom property tab and change the component's properties. So if you want a notification for any property change, you're going to have to keep track of all open documents in SW with your code.  Even ones that don't have their own window.

Alex Burnett

Very well said, Josh. I prefer to code an add-in with Visual Studio in C# due to the exact points you brought up.

The active document needs to be kept track of at all times. If the document changes, the program will need to forget the previous object and then update the active document and type to the new one and then subscribe to all of the events you are concerned with. For this reason, I have used Luke Malpass' SolidDna wrapper because his handling of the active document is rather fantastic.

Josh Brady

Alex Burnett wrote:

Very well said, Josh. I prefer to code an add-in with Visual Studio in C# due to the exact points you brought up.

The active document needs to be kept track of at all times. If the document changes, the program will need to forget the previous object and then update the active document and type to the new one and then subscribe to all of the events you are concerned with. For this reason, I have used Luke Malpass' SolidDna wrapper because his handling of the active document is rather fantastic.

Ah, but herein lies the rub!  This code must go far beyond keeping track of the current active document.  As I mentioned, custom properties of INACTIVE documents may be changed at any time.  Therefore, this code will have to create and retain an object for every single file that's open.  It cannot forget the previous document until the document is actually closed!  And not just when its window is closed, because it may still be open as reference in an assembly, drawing, derived part, etc.....

Alex Burnett

Josh Brady wrote:

Ah, but herein lies the rub! This code must go far beyond keeping track of the current active document. As I mentioned, custom properties of INACTIVE documents may be changed at any time. Therefore, this code will have to create and retain an object for every single file that's open. It cannot forget the previous document until the document is actually closed! And not just when its window is closed, because it may still be open as reference in an assembly, drawing, derived part, etc.....

If the OP is concerned with such a situation then I agree. You're correct that it would be a very difficult problem to accurately solve. It would take a LOT of references/lists as you have said in order to get that working as you've described.

Jake Bakerin

Alex Burnett wrote:

Alex,

How to find Luke's tool?

Jake Bakerin

@josh

I'm using PDM standard so I can't add script or dispatch which is only available for PDM pro

What I want to do is when a user changes a document to final state (released), which I set in transition to change a "Current State" in the Custom Properties from "Reviewed" to "Released".  when this happens, it'd trigger a macro for design checks

Still learning SW API - so it'd better to do it in add-in?

Josh Brady

Gotcha... I don't use either PDM, so I'm not sure...

Can PDM transition documents without them being open in SolidWorks?  Because if so, you'll never get the notification.  I'm pretty sure PDM (and also SW Explorer) can change document custom properties without opening the document in SolidWorks....

Alex Burnett

Josh Brady wrote:

Can PDM transition documents without them being open in SolidWorks? Because if so, you'll never get the notification. I'm pretty sure PDM (and also SW Explorer) can change document custom properties without opening the document in SolidWorks....

PDM State Changes don't require the document to be open at all. If a change is made in the file, I believe that it's likely done in the same manner as (or with) the DocumentManager API.

Jake Bakerin

Josh Brady wrote:

Can PDM transition documents without them being open in SolidWorks? Because if so, you'll never get the notification. I'm pretty sure PDM (and also SW Explorer) can change document custom properties without opening the document in SolidWorks....

Alex is right

State change can be done in the windows explorer (document is not open)

However, what I want to do here is to change document's state while it's open