5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2018 8:00 AM by Sam Sam

Custom Properties disappearing from part file even after Saving and Checking into PDM Standard!!

Craig Makarowski

I'm currently using SW2018 SP3 and PDM Standard 2018,

PDM Standard issue with Custom Properties and them disappearing even after save and Check in to PDM, is this a data base delay problem. When i set up the custom fields properties in the part that match the variables in PDM Standard, and save the part and check in the part. Then go back and use the data card to add the values some of the parts even after save and Check in again. They just disappear even the custom property field in the part as well. I have about 50 custom properties. and all the variables defined in the PDM system for the data cards as well.
      I do believe i have a SPR about this earlier in the year.
      This is breaking me going live with PDM Standard. If anyone has insight into this let me know thank you.
      the Custom properties are named Part_Type, SubCategory1, SubCategory1 that are in question the others seem to be fine. I even wrote a macro to
      added the missing properties into a part with blank data.
      Data card setup

Part Custom Property fields before and after save!

After using Data card interface to enter data this is what i get
      Note 4 of the property lines disappear!

Data card variables

This is very strange!

• Re: Custom Properties disappearing from part file even after Saving and Checking into PDM Standard!!
          Nadia Shea

PDM will not write or create the custom property in a SOLIDWORKS file, unless the data is filled out. I've never seen PDM DELETE a custom property.  It is very strange that 4 custom properties get deleted from the file itself. There is simply no mechanism in PDM to take such an action. I actually create most of my templates with no custom properties and let PDM create/populate them as needed.

I have seen stranger behavior though.

I would see if rebuild, save, etc... in locations outside the vault replicate the behavior?

Is it a configuration specific property in the file?

Is the template you are using from an older version?

• Re: Custom Properties disappearing from part file even after Saving and Checking into PDM Standard!!
            Sam Sam

Hi,

It is not sure that it is a problem of PDM Standart or is this a data base delay problem as similar problems are known to me also in PDM Profesional.

If to add to the Excluded configurations - @ or to remove Update all configuration or Default overwrite - something to change?

And still - if properties of configurations are used - try to delete property on a tab @.

I can be mistaken, but that PDM cannot delete properties - I am not confident as I experimented with it through Workflow.

As I remember if to specify a configuration and to leave variable value - empty - that property in the file will be deleted.

I cannot approve it, and check now simply there is no time.

Craig Makarowski

well i had a session with my VAR and we were able to narrow it down to being in Solidworks and not a problem with PDM at all so far.

I have since tried a few tests, and what i'm finding is that the custom properties fields are not saved upon check in to vault. What i have done as a test is manually enter the Custom property inside Solidworks save the file then check in to vault. Next i try to use the Data card to enter the values. Save file again and check in. it fails to save the SubCategory1 value!  so I check out the vault part again and sure enough the SubCategory Custom Property field is missing.

Next test I used my macro I wrote to fix the missing Custom property fields save file and check in. Then i try to use the Data card to enter the values. again it fails!

So I use the macro tool again and this time I manually input the text fro the SubCategory1, save file and check in to vault this works!!!!!

As such I'm not happy with this solution as i have hundreds of library parts to update in my vault, and sure don'r want to be manually entering for each field when i could be using the data card interface that i have drop down options in!

I have checked my Part.prtdot template made sure that the Card template is correct as well so I know that even the Variables in PDM are correct too. So this really is a problem with no simple solution yet. If i was able to write a test macro in PDM Standard then i might have a chance, oh wait you not allowed that in PDM standard!!!! you could in PDM Workgroups!  For now I will try to make a more sophisticated macro inside SolidWorks and see if the helps, not expecting much though!

Nadia Shea

Quick Question: After saving and before checking it in, with any method you use, do you close the file and reopen it to see if the property is there?   (Kind of like making sure a registry change 'sticks', you reopen the regedit tool to validate the change)

Here's another test I would suggest - Take a file created with a default, current version part template with no customizations at all. Save and check it in the vault.  Close the file in SW. Then through vault view, check it out, add the information on the data card, check it in. Open the file in SW. Is the custom property there?  

It's still not clear if this file specific, machine specific, or possibly a template specific issue. You've already ruled out PDM.

Sam Sam

Hi,

I will try to describe a little on another an essence of the same problem which I had faced.

Such sense:

If new files with use of a template are created and all necessary properties and variables / cards are coordinated - there are no problems (or shouldn't be).

If the available files are imported to PDM - and they have no required properties (or they aren't agreed with variables / cards) - problems are guaranteed.

The possible variant of the decision - two different Workflow - isn't suitable for PDM Standart.

But probably it is possible to make in Workflow state (Initial) with 2 automatic transitions with different conditions.

At the same time, in case of import of files, missing properties have to be added to files (instead of use of a macro).

This procedure something is similar to the announcement of variables in Visul Basic.

If at the same time to add variables without any value - the property of the file will be removed.

I tried to add value of a variable - space (instead of it is empty).

Possibly it is not the best option, can eat other decisions.

Perhaps, I haven't really it is clear explained that wanted to tell, but can something from this will it is useful or at least will suggest some idea.

Probably, for the solution of such questions there is Design Checker - but not always this option approaches and he demands considerable expenses of time.