5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 3:39 PM by Clark Honzik

How to manage Creo and NX file in PDM vault

Jeremy Ji

I am recently working on PDM configuration, and we are expecting that PDM can handle Creo/NX/Catia files, but there are some limitations, especially with Creo files.

Creo creates file with .1 .2 .3 by default, this will cause a few issues, no PDM version control, no data card, files are saved as "local file", need to be added to vault manually, purge function does not work once files are checked in. (I understand that it may work if data-cards can be created for all those extension from .1 to .999)

If this versioning feature is turned off in Creo, it would be .prt file,and PDM won't be able to know if this is Creo or NX,  and turning off the versioning feature is bad practice per Creo, since this is how Creo do back-ups. 

The current Creo connector was tested and not functioning very well, we were told to wait for the new connector, since SW is working on a brand new connector.

I was wondering if anyone manage Creo / NX / Catia file in PDM vault, and how to deal with .1 .2 files, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• Re: How to manage Creo and NX file in PDM vault
          Jeff Sweeney

I don't know of anyone keeping the .# extensions with Creo files. PDM's versions replace the need for the .#'s.

Clark Honzik

What release of NX do you use?  We are using NX 11.  We have been working around an issue in NX related to the PDM when working in Win10.  In the NX open dialog if you use the "Up One Level" button right when the open dialog is opened it will cause NX to crash.  Also if you simply browse up one level instead of using this button it will crash NX.  The work around is to first browse directly to the root of the C drive then back into the vault and then everything behaves properly.  PDM 2017 there are other graphical interface issues with the NX open dialog but that part seems to have improved with PDM 2018.  Just curious if you have ran into any of these issues.

Jeremy Ji

Hi Clark, I am using NX11 in win10, I do notice that PDM causes NX to crash by certain events, eg, state change, data card update by dispatch. I haven't done a lot test of NX files in PDM vault, so I am not sure about the issue that you have currently.

Our PDM configuration team has decided to not migrate NX file to PDM vault until the NX connector released, becasue of the .prt issue and the issue that PDM is not able to recognize NX file references. 

I am wondering how do you manage revisions of NX file in PDM vault.  for example, assy.rev A has part rev A in it, both files are updated to rev B, so assy rev B is referencing part rev B.  If I want to open assy rev A, I have to get the "part rev A" version as well, otherwise the assy rev A will load the part rev B that is in my local cache without any warning message.  So this will be a big issue for large assembly.

Thank you.

Clark Honzik

Sorry for the late reply.

This has not been an issue for us as we have trained the users to always retrieve the latest at the folder level before opening the files.  We don't have really don't have any collaboration between designers on our tool design so there has not been an issue there.  All the shop personnel are the people trained on retrieving the latest so it has been trouble free for us.  However, we are patiently waiting for the NX integration as this should solve this issue as the files will start behaving like SolidWorks files instead of flat files.  At that point we will not need any special processes to ensure users are retrieving the correct files.