AnsweredAssumed Answered

Finding Existing Parts

Question asked by John Wayman on Aug 21, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2018 by ömür tokman

We are a heavily project-based engineering design company, but there are certain parts that are re-used, either in the identical form, or slightly modified in many of our projects.

We want to maximise the re-use of these parts across new projects, in order to minimise our wasted design effort and ensure that it is used to design the new parts that are needed.

I am interested to know what techniques others employ to find common, or almost common parts, in their storage system.

We use PDM Standard here.

Our part numbering system is no help here, being project-based at its root, but serially-numbered further along. Thus, a part number may be of the format P111-222-001, where 111 is the project number, 222 is the sub-assembly in which it was used and 001 is the serial number of the part within the sub-assembly.

Are there techniques for maximising the re-use of data, or for finding parts that are similarly-shaped, or similarly titled?

I suspect I know the answer, because the same problem has existed everywhere I have worked throughout my long career, but hope springs eternal.

I am always open to learning from others who have different experience to mine.

SW 2018, SP4

Cheers,

John

Outcomes